Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. When did you stop wrapping?

When did you stop wrapping? Lock Rss

Hi there,

I was just wondering what age most of you stopped wrapping your baby for sleep? My little one is just coming up to 3 months and has started to wriggle his arms out of his wrap to try to put his fist in his mouth when he is sleeping. Problem is I'm worried that this is waking him more often than he needs to as he can't quite co-ordinate the hand-mouth thing, and gets really angry! (It's quite cute to watch when you aren't too tired!) Did anyone else have this problem, and if so, what did you do about it?

Thinking of going cold turkey on the wrapping, but I'm a little worried as this has been a great technique to signal 'sleep time' up until now...

Thanks,
Bec.

Logan 03/05/05 Lily 06/11/06

hi my little girl is 4 months and I still wrap her and she gets her hands out also but I find that if I dont wrap her at all she will be awake within half hour and will be sideways in her bed, She sleeps heaps better when wrapped and wont go to sleep if shes not wrapped. Maybe you could start by wrapping him a bit looser so he can get his hands out without wriggling too much but he will still feel secure in the wrap. if that makes sense..

2 little darlings 29/01/03 + 17/03/05

Hi there,
My little girl Ella was still being wrapped at 6-7 months. She would still get her hands out - she is a real thumb sucker. I tried to go cold turkey and stop wrapping completely and that just didnt work for me, she just cried. I started wrapping one hand out and changed hands each sleep time. No worries at all with this. I then moved her into a grobag for her sleep and I too was worried that she wouldnt sleep well. It worked a treat and havent looked back.
Each baby is different, you can only try and if it doesnt work go back to what you were doing before. They soon get used to change, sometimes I think we worry a little too much - but I know how precious sleep is!!
Good luck

Delma, Vic, Mum to Keeley and Ella

I stopped Lochie at about 3 months. He doesn't have a dummy and puts his fist and fingers to his mouth aswell. I put him in the sleeping bag and still wrapped him with a cotton sheet below the armpits. I have just progressed to the cot now he is almost four months and he is doing well with his arms out now. I dont wrap him at all but tucked in tight still in his sleeping bag suit to keep warm. The fist in the mouth thing is a development progression as so I have been told. Lochie is now a thumb sucker as his coordination gets better. It is cute to watch.

Mandy, SA 1mth baby

Hi Bec
My little boy is 4 months old and I still wrap him but I was wondering the exact same thing as you. I tried not wrapping him but he seems to still have the jerky hand reflexes. He is going into his cot this weekend so perhaps I'll try the advice from the other mums and put him into his sleeping bag unwrapped and tucked in tight. Fingers crossed! I read that they should stopped being wrapped at 6 months but I think every baby is difficult. I'm hoping in his own good time he will be fine without being wrapped.

Kathie
Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. Logan's reflux is playing up again, so I think I will wait until we have that under control before making any changes. Besides he still can't figure out how to get a finger or thumb into his mouth rather than trying to put a whole fist in.

Again,
Thankyou all.

Bec.

Logan 03/05/05 Lily 06/11/06

Sign in to follow this topic