Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Solids and General Feeding Issues
  5. Full bottle before starting solids?

Full bottle before starting solids? Rss

Are you suppose to start babies on solids once a full bottle of 240mls no longer satisfys them. Some people are starting their babies sooner than this. My baby is almost 6 months, drinks about 200 to 240 mls 4 times a day then has a fifth bottle about 180 mls as a top up before bed. I use s26 and it says 5 feeds a day. My friends baby only has 3 bottles a day and the rest sre solid. Her baby is only 5 weeks older but my bub doesnt seem interested when I give him rice cereal . He would rather chew his bib instead ( teething I think) What are other mums doing at the 6 month mark with bootle fed bubs. How much milk and how often?

JZ mum to Bradley 17/08/03 and Heidi 25/02/06

Hi
I started my daughter on solids at 4 months and we were lucky if she would drink 180mls, i know everyone says to give a bottle before solids but we did solids before bottle as she was very unsettled and she was fine.
If he isnt interested in solids you could try giving him rusks or cold carrot sticks to chew on, my friends baby wasnt interested in solids at 6months either so she just put some food on a spoon and let him hold it and put it in his mouth himself and now at 8months he eats everything.

Aimee was having 4 bottles per day pluse 3 solid feeds and snacks till she was about 10months old but every baby is different so do what feels right for you.. he will eat when he's ready

2 little darlings 29/01/03 + 17/03/05

Hi.

I started Ella on solids at 4months on advise from her pediatrician. She's never been a big eater/drinker, usually would only drink 3/4 of her bottle at most! I started her off having her bottle first then her solids but changed that recently. Now she has 4 bottles per day, 1st and last being 200ml and the others 150ml (she doesnt usually finish them) and she has 4feeds of solids per day... rice cereal for breakfast, fruit for lunch, yogurt in the arvo then meat and veg for dinner. She was only having 3meals but because she's not a big eater the health nurse advised us to give her the yogurt in the afternoon... She now loves her solids!

Bel

Belinda, WA, lovely baby girl

I've been told that babies should start on solids at 4-6 months, the later the better because their digestive system can't handle it, and to prevent allergies.
If baby is still satisfied and gaining weight then there is no need to start solids before six months.
After six months they need more iron than they can get from milk alone, so they do need to start solids.
From what I've read if he's not interested don't stress, just have another try in a few days, and he might be more interested.

Rochelle, NZ, baby girl born 22.10.2003

Sign in to follow this topic