Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Not Drinking Water........ Rss

My 7 and a half month old son doesn't drink water. He just refuses it everytime I try. I am wondering if other babies his age are drinking lots of water? I think it would be good for him and wonder if he should be drinking some water by now.
And any tips on how to get him to drink it? I was told to try a tiny bit of honey in the water , but im not sure if this would be bad for his teeth?
Any advice?

baby boy

Hi Ladybird

I was worried about the same thing a little while ago. I spoke to our clinic nurse and she said not to worry as long as he's still having plenty of wet nappies - I'm still breastfeeding my son so I'm not sure if it's the same for formula fed babies. My son is now 11 months old and has just started drinking water regularly in the last couple of days, he only drinks small amounts but he's getting there. I've found he doesn't like any of the training cups, he prefers to drink out of a normal cup - usually mine smile !!! As far as I know honey isn't recommended for babies under 12 months as it has a bacteria in it that can make them sick. I know some parents give their babies really watered down fruit juice. However anything sugary isn't recommended by the 'experts' as it can be bad for their teeth, but if your baby needs extra fluids they need to drink something. If you are breastfeeding and your baby seems a bit dehydrated try giving extra feeds. As I said I don't really know that much about bottle fed babies, but I'm sure some of the other 'Huggies Mums' will be able to help you. My son wasn't really fussed on plain water when I first introduced it but I just persevered and now he doesn't mind it at all. Try talking to your child health nurse - they will be able to help you further.

Hope this helps
Jasmine
Hi, we had this problem in the middle of the summer, we were recommended to give Jack bottled water as he might not have liked the taste of our tap water. We also changed his cup from an expensive non spill thing to the cheapest cup on the market. Both things worked! He now drinks tap water but refuses any cup except for the cheap one!
We were also told that if he was thirsty he would drink water.
Jo

mum of 1

My son also didn't seem keen on water. I was giving him cold water from the fridge which he'd just spit out. A friend suggested just giving him the water at room temperature instead of cold, and from then on he drank water with no problems.
my 15 month old girl had the same problem where she did not like drinking from her expensive cup - so I bought a cup from woolies which has a straw (cost $1.40 aprox) and she loves drinking out of that cup now - I half fill it and regularly leave it sitting in the same spot on the kitchen floor for her - she knows it is there and she regularly stops for a sip or two as she wanders past. This way, I don't have to continually offer it to her and she drinks more this way. (she has made her own choice to have a drink, so she drinks - i often find if i offer it to her she does not want it anyway).

Linda (Jessica 3/4/03, Caleb 11/4/05)

That is such a good idea!!! I never even thought about doing that!
Jo

mum of 1

honey would be a bad idea. Breastfed babies don't need water, i don't know about bottlefed babies but putting honey in water now will make for bad habits that will carry on for life. just keep persisting until he's ready

mother to Hannah born August 9 2003

Sign in to follow this topic