Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

feeding baby cows milk Rss

I have heard so many different opinions on feeding babies cows milk. Can anyone tell me if they have fed their baby cows milk at around the seven month mark?

Wendy, SA, baby boy Oct 03

Hi Wendyp

My daughter is only five months old and I have not started her on cows milk but i was down at my local baby clinic today and the nurse said by about 6 months. Hope this has helped

brooke,21,qld

hi wendy,

its recommended that you don't give your baby cows milk (as a bottle) until they are 12 months old. it's fine to use cows milk in cereal etc at 6 months, but wait until 12 months to be giving the baby large amounts.

Mummy of 2 little angels. 6/6/03 & 3/8/05 & No 3

Hi Wendy

I was told the same as Calli - you can introduce cows milk after 6 months in food ie cereal etc but it is not recommended as a main milk drink until after 12 months.

It apparently does not have all the nutrients that breastmilk or formula have.

My clinic nurse told me this just yesterday.

Kristi

4 lovely munchkins DD 10/03, DD 03/05, DS 10/06 &

Hi Wendy,

Try goats milk - it is more suitable for babies. However I wouldn't rely upon it soley for your baby's milk needs without consulting a doctor.

The old saying is:

'Cow's milk is for calves, goats milk is for kids.'
yes. Leave cows milk for the calves...... Goats milk is definitely best, and not just for children!! Goats milk is by far easier and gentler on the digestive system then cows milk! Cows are a huge animal and have more than one stomach. Because they have more than one stomach the milk gets broken down several times whilst digesting. Cows milk is designed for cows. If you must have milk, goats milk is the answer.

Linda (Jessica 3/4/03, Caleb 11/4/05)

This is all interesting. I too have had conflicting advice. I've heard that you should boil it first before using for cereals etc. (By the clinic nurse)
The one thing I forgot to ask was how long do you boil it for? I didn't want to ask at the time because I didn't want to feel like a dill tongue

Bett, NSW, 2 boys & Twins 19.2.08

I find all this interesting too. My question is and it may be silly but what the heck; does it taste the same? What does it taste like comparing it to cows milk?

JZ mum to Bradley 17/08/03 and Heidi 25/02/06

Hi JZ, the fresh unpasturized goats milk has it's own taste. The pasturized lines available in supermarkets, such as Pauls, have a slight difference in taste but nothing particularly noticable. I rather like it. And when it comes to baby's they really don't have that mush to compare it to - taste is often a matter of what you know.
Sign in to follow this topic