Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Solids and General Feeding Issues
  5. At what age did you start feeding your baby dairy foods?

At what age did you start feeding your baby dairy foods? Rss

Hi

I was just wondering at what age is it recommended to start feeding your baby dairy foods? I would like to start my baby on yoghurt, cottage cheese, ricotta etc etc but not sure if this is okay? Is there a specific age you start? She is just shy of 7 months and eating 3 solids meals a day - mostly freshly cooked vegies and fruit which I do myself.

Have any of you started on dairy foods and what specifically?

I look forward to hearing your responses!

Gabriella, Chiara & angel called home

Hi Lili

I started my son on yoghurt at about 7 months. At first he got a really bad nappy rash and runny poos, so I waited another month but the same thing happened. I tried again at 9 months and he was fine with it - now yoghurt is one of his favourite foods, even when he goes off everything else he'll still eat yoghurt. Once he was eating yoghurt I also started putting grated cheese on his vegies and sometimes mixed ricotta in as well. He loves ricotta or cream cheese on rice cakes. The info I was given at our baby health clinic says that dairy is OK from 6 months as long as there is no family history of allergy - if there is it is recommended to wait until 9-12 months. You can use cows milk in cooking from 6 months (eg custard or white sauce) and from 9 months you can use small amounts of cows milk on breakfast cereal. Up until 12 months breastmilk or formula should be given for milk feeds. My 1 year old son is still breastfed but I used to mix his cereal with formula until he was 11 months, then I started using cows milk. Like with all new foods just offer a small amount at first and if your baby doesn't have a reaction keep including it with the rest of her diet. I hope this helps.

All the best
Jasmine smile
Hi Jasmine

Thanks fo much for your post - it was very helpful. I am due to visit the clinic next week so will hang out and see what the nurse advises - although I think you are right to suggest trying out a small amount first and seeing what happens!

It's funny being a mum - there is always something new to learn...!

Cheers

Gabriella, Chiara & angel called home

Hi,
I haven't started my child on dairy before, as i was told that the earlier they start, the higher the risk of allergies. As she will be breastfed for the first 2 years, there's no need for her to have any other milk in her diet, and the yoghurt and custard she is having are made from soy milk. The soy yoghurt is bought from the supermarket, everything else she has is home made. Talk to a doctor before you start dairy, as it may cause allergies if they are already present in your family.
Good luck with your decision

mother to Hannah born August 9 2003

Sign in to follow this topic