Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Shop bought baby foods Rss

What do you mums think about the shop bought baby foods. Are they really nutritous, or are they full of water and thickners?

I have noticed with the Heinz baby foods that the pear and apple have only pear or apple and vitamin C in them. So you would think that this is a very nutritiuos meal.

I haven't tried puree apples and pears yet , but I have been told that it is very difficult.

All the best

2 Under 1

Hi,

My opinion, is they are fine! Do you really think that the Australian Food authorities would allow the food to be on the market if it had little food quality, and all the other stuff that bought up on TV.

I do all my own cooking of veges, but always have tinned and jarred baby food in the cupboard for convenience and variety.

Also when my kidlets are sick they both seem to prefer the smoother texture of the shop bought food.

Just my opinion,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi Zacs Mum

I agree with Tepe - I think they are fine to give your baby.

For the most part, I cook up batches of food for my little girl - pumpkin, potato, sweet potato, broccoli and more recently baby "pastina." I have found that she will not eat the poached fruits I make for her and so use the canned variety. She loves them!

I also keep a stock in the cupboard "just in case" and also to use if I am going out with baby.

If you are concerned about the nutritional value then I recommend you check the label for ingredients and the percentage of fruit/vegetables as some are lower than others. (note: I did see one tin of Tuna and vegetables and when I looked at the list of ingredients there was no tuna in it at all!!!!).

You could also try the "organics" range of baby foods which are available but these are a little more expensive.

Gabriella, Chiara & angel called home

how hard is it to peel & cut apples or presr & cook them & then stick them into a blender who on earth told you it is very difficult

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

apples and pears are really easy to do.

I steam them and they go pretty mushy. you dont need any mix masters or blenders. you can just push them through a sive with the back of a spoon and that makes it the exact same consistancy as the tinned baby food.
and they freeze really well too.
and with the shop jars and tinned baby foods they are fine every now and again . but home cooked is always best. i bought one of those thundersticks from danozdirect and it gets beef and chicken really finely chopped and pureed as well. its great. if i cook meat and veges for us then hannah gets it aswell i just mush hers up and it takes about 20seconds.

DD 13/11/03 -DD 11.11.05 - DS 17.4.08

Personally, I think that shop bought baby food is okay as part of a balanced diet. I tend to use tinned fruits, as they are less likely to have anything other than fruit, and occassionally vegies. (with my 2.5 yr old she still has tinned egg custard occassionally as a snack - it keeps well, is relatively nutritious and is handy when on the run).
For meats, pasta, rice and vegies, I tend to find home cooked is better, as you have more control over exactly what they are getting. Particularly important if there is any family history of food intolerances. I've also had some relatives who fed their babies almost exclusively tinned baby food, and have ended up with toddlers who are very fussy eaters, who don't like much variety in tastes and textures.
Think of your own diet, and what amount you would be prepared to eat of convenience food, compared to home cooked, and use that as a guide.

mum to 2 girls

Sign in to follow this topic