Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

bottle V cup Rss

My liitle man is 6 1/2 months and with his meals I like to give him water with it.
I'm trying to get my little man to drink from a cup instead of a bottle. His problem is that once he gets the cup up to his mouth he can't get anything out because of the anti-spill component. Does any one know of a cup that is easy for them to drink out of? I've bought 2 cups and they are to expensive to keep experimenting with!
He can drink easily from the bottle, but he won't bring the bottle up himself.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.
I give my daughter water from an avent bottle with the avent toddler spout on it. She took a while to get the hang of it (she is breastfed and has never used a bottle). I let her have a chew and a play with it. Eventually in her chewing she accidentally 'sucked' and off she went. It took a while, but we just persevered and offered it when it wasn't important if she drank or not.

I don't know if this will help, but just keep trying!

I would also like to recommend the Avent todder cup and spout. My daughter loves it and like you I went out and bought other expensive cups before someone told me about this one.

There are two spouts, one from 3 months and the other from 6 months. I found the 3 month one easier for my daughter to start with as the teat is softer and easier for them to draw the fluid out of. This might suit your baby if they are used to a normal teat.

It was well worth the $12.00 I spent.

Kristi

4 lovely munchkins DD 10/03, DD 03/05, DS 10/06 &

Another suggestion is a cup with a straw. Everyone said it was too early for my daughter but she got the hang of it straight away and loves it.

4 lovely munchkins DD 10/03, DD 03/05, DS 10/06 &

Hi,

It was suggested to me to use the cheap baby cups from Woolworths (about $2.00) they do have an anti-spill thing in it but I just use that when we go out so the water doesn't spill & when its time for him to use it I take it out & help him sip it. Sometimes he sips properly & sometimes he forgets & tries to suck it like a bottle so you need to help them understand that you just tip it to get a little water, swallow & tip again. Its also a good idea to let them play with it & try to work it out themselves. My little man has a great time trying to drink the water like a big boy & then spill it everywhere.

Hope this helps,
Kylie

Kylie, NSW mum to Jamie 9/2/04 + Grace 1/2/07

Thanks for all the tips.
I will probably try the Avent tips as I have the Avent bottles (even though I'm Breastfeeding) and I saw you can buy the handles also. Will just have to tell hubby white lies about the price (not that he cares!)
Will let you know how we go. It really is funny to watch him get so frustrated with the cups he bangs away with it trying to get something out of it.
Thanks again.
Hi I know tomy tippee has one without the anti spill thingamagigy. That's the only one my son would use. Now we've progressed onto the avent one. Goodluck.
Cheers!
We had much fun yesterday at dinner time.I removed the anti-spill component from his cup! He got a real mouthful the first time! I'm just going to persevere at the moment. We had water evrywhere, it was quite funny.He liked the sound of the water splashing in the cup as he banged it on his high chair!
Geez I love being a mum, who would've thought it would be the best job, even though you don't get paid.
Hi everyone
Just to let everyone know that my little man has mastered drinking from the cup with the anti spill thing still in!
The one he liked the most was the first year cup.
Thanks for everone's comments.
has your daughter used a bottle mine wont go near it but will happiy drink water from a cup

gail SA 4 girls 17months apart 1 set twins

My little man would drink from both, but I wanted him to drink independently from the cup and he does!
Sign in to follow this topic