Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Starting solids Rss

Hi
I have a 6 month old boy who refuses to eat any solids! I have been trying for 4 weeks mainly at breakfast time. I have only tried the Heinze jars of apples and pears for breakfast and pumpkin for dinner - however he doesnt even open his mouth and spits it all out!! Should I persist? Help

Christians Mum
Hi Christian's Mum. Are you breast or bottle feeding? Maybe trying rice cereal first would be a good idea as you mix this with breast milk or formula for a familiar taste. Also, my baby was not enjoying rice cereal until I heated it up to about body temperature and then he was happy.
Good luck smile

Jessica, VIC, Max 24.08.03

Hi Christians Mum

I would suggest heinz baby rice cereal mixed with either breast or formula milk so it tastes like what his used to.
The fruits and pumpkin might be a bit to strong in flavour for the little tastebuds as a first food.
Maybe some runny mashed potato mixed with breast or formula milk might be good too?

Ashleighs Mummy
Hi,
I would suggest starting all over again as if introducing solids for the first time. You could try a bit of rice cereal in the morning and pureed vegies in the evening. Once he is used to eating this slowly introduce some cooked apple or pear (fork mashed) - this was how I got bubs to eat lumpy food. Try making your own food. I cook up batches of vegies and fruit and then freeze them in ice cube trays. I've always got at least 1-2 weeks supply in the freezer.
My baby prefers home cooked vegies and fruit to the tinned stuff. But she does like the beef/vegies or chicken/vegies that golden circle make (so do i).
let me know how you go.

Vic, 2 girls - 9 yo & 17mth old

Hi,

I recently too started solids. My boys were just over 4 months. With twins, it was certainly interesting. I tried rice cereal first - one twin had mouth action, one twin did not. One twin liked, one twin disliked. Then tried baby food, apple liked by one not the other. Then tried pear, liked by the other one and not the other. Then tried savoury, both hated it. Then we found a miracle. Mixed rice cereal with baby food (apple) and they both loved it. Go figure!!! I think it is the thickness of the rice cereal (which is bland) with a taste of something sweet. We don't always have successfull solid eating - lots of spitting, hands in mouths etc and we are only feeding solids once a day. I guess my advice is - just keep at it - persist with the same food for a couple of days (this helps determine allegies), and then if you have to move on. I am sure it will happen and remember all babies are different. Good luck.

Victoria ~ 3yr old beautiful twin boys

We've only just started too, and we're going slowly because Gabrielle is only 5 months, and not that keen really. We've also had the most success with rice cereal mixed with apple. Banana was not so successful but she still kept opening her mouth for it, I think it's the experience of putting the spoon in she likes, not what's on it!!

Our clinic nurse recommended to me that we try the cereal and apple as she finds that works best or if bub seems interested in something on your plate, give it to them mashed up (I don't think I'll try on curries just yet though!!).
Relax and keep trying, it's all experimenting at this age and eventually your baby will get the hang of it. It's important to keep going though, they need to learn to chew for speech development, but take it slowly and don't worry.

Karen, mum to Gabrielle 1/9/03, #2 edd 24/8/05

Hi

I am also starting solids for my boy who is 16 weeks. He wouldn't take the spoon for anyone and then my Mum told me to put it on the spoon then put some on my finger and then put it his mouth as he always has it open. This has works wonders but still no taking to the spoon - his mouth clams shut. I have been giving his cereal in the afternoon - at his 3rd or 4th feed. He generally has 4-5 feeds a day.

Hope this helps. Good luck

Frazer & Lilians Mum

Sign in to follow this topic