Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. Problems with breastfeeding - help

Problems with breastfeeding - help Rss

Hi, my baby is 6 mths old and she has been feeding perfectly up till now. At every feed she cries and keeps pulling off and arching her back. It feels like I'm fighting with her at every feed so I don't look forward to feeds anymore.
I recently started her on solids but I always feed her solids about 1/2 hour after I have breastfed her. I thought maybe it might be teeth coming through so I've been using bonjela but it doesn't seem to make much difference.
Does this mean that she doesn't want to be breastfed anymore? I'm worried as my milk supply is slowly getting less because of it and I don't know if bub is getting enough.

If anyone can help please let me know.
I had a similar problem. Turned out my baby had an inflamed throat. But the fever didn't start up until a week after the problems with breastfeeding had already started. She even went off her solids.
If you are concerned see you doctor to rule out any illness.

Vic, 2 girls - 9 yo & 17mth old

My son did this to me just before he got an ear infection. He stopped sfter a couple of days. I just kept giving him water so as he didn't get dehydrated. The Breastfeeding Association deals with this a lot and they have a great website and a 24 hour contact number.

The website is www.breastfeeding.asn.au

I am sure the relevent number for your area will be available there or in your local phone book.
hi
i had the same trouble, maybe you should try expressing milk just so your supply keeps up, also it doesnt hurt to take her to the doctor just to be safe, i took my soon to have his ears checked because apparently if the cry when you lie them down to feed its possible that it could be an ear infection?
however who knows, my son had the same symptoms at 6months and it turned out to be teeth trying to cut through, very stressful for you both but hang in there youll both get through it.
bonjella its great!!

reagans mum

Hi, my baby sometimes cries a lot and I found its because I got my period - see my post "salty milk". Maybe its that?
Hi Phoebe,
I had the same problem with my last son, but he was 9 months old at this stage. I took him to doctors, who said there was nothing wrong with him. After about 2 weeks of him not drinking enough each feed, I started to supplement him with diluted cows milk which he was drinking 280mls per feed. As it turned out, it was his way of weaning himself off the breast. I put him on the heinze basics cup and he has never looked back. He is now 10 1/2 months old and thriving, not having the breast at all.

If you are at all concerned, go and see you doctor to rule out anything medical.
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

Hi, Thanks for your help.
Would 6 1/2 mths be too early to start feeding cows milk? I could use formula, although the stuff I've got at the moment she doesn't like.

I was told by the Health Nurse that you shouldn't give babies cows milk as a main drink before 12mths of age. Although it is ok to add to cereal after 9 mths.
The reason she gave me is that it is high in sodium (salt) and doesn't have the minerals/vitamins that babies need and is provided by breastmilk or formula.
I am currently weaning my little one and she loves the Heinz Nurture. I'm using the over 6 mth one and didn't bother with the gold version and it is alot cheaper than all the other brands.
Hope this helps a little smile

Vic, 2 girls - 9 yo & 17mth old

Hi Phoebe,
Lots of people will say it is too young to put her on cows milk, however, my first son was on 4 solid meals per day, and draining me at every feed, and still wanted more. I tried to supplement him with formula, but he hated every one. I tried 5 different ones, then out of sheer desperation, gave him diluted cows milk. He loved it. He was 7 1/2 months old. I also put my daughter on diluted cows milk at 7 months and she loved it, and my baby boy loves it now. He is 10 1/2 months, and has been on diluted cows milk since 9 months. I was also giving them all pentavite vitamins (from the chemist), as cows milk doesn't contain the vitamins breast or formula does.

A friend of mine put her daughter on cows milk at 6 months, but didn't dilute it and she got the runs, so if you choose to use it, make sure it is diluted 50% milk, to 50% boiled water until at least 12 months of age. My friends daughter was fine after her mum started to dilute her milk and is now 17 months old with no problems.

Some people will say that giving cows milk will give your child allergies, but my kids are now almost 11yo and 8 yo and neither of them have any health problems caused from having cows milk. Hope this helps you.
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

Sign in to follow this topic