Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Manual Breast pumps Rss

Hi,

I'm now looking for manual breast pumps. Currently I'm using the electric breast pumps at home (Madela & NUK) but they are too noisy to use whilst at work. Does anyone have any suggestions on which pump to buy?

Thanks,
sharon
Hi Sharon

I've never used a pump, however the Lactation Consultant and all the midwives at the hospital recommended the Avent hand pump. A couple of the mums in my mothers group also used the Avent and were pretty happy with it.

Hope this helps
Jasmine
Hi Sharon
I bought the Avent hand pump after I had my first. I paid about $109 NZD and borrowed a friends microwave steriliser. I am really happy with the pump and am intending to use it again for my second. It is a little harder on the hands than an electric pump, but much quieter, and I think it did just as good a job as the electric one in the hospital.
It also comes with 2 valves.
It is more expensive than some of the others, but I have heard some of them can be quite hard to use one handed.

Rachelle, NZ, son George 10.12.02, Ian 15.06.04

Hi Sharon,

Just want to back up what everyone else has said, the Avent is excellant. I had the Nuk, electric, but found the Avent far better.

Another advantage is you can replace any parts, a phone call, and i had the part in 3 days. You can't beat that for service!

Best of luck in your decision,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi Sharon

As with everyone else I would definately recommend the Avent brand hand pump. I couldn't breastfeed my son so expressed for every feed for the first 3 months using my Avent - it was really quick and easy to use and can be used in a microwave steriliser.

Hope that helps.

Debs, NZ, Mum to Rory born 19/01/04

Hey, thanks all for your feedback. Its greatly appreciated and I will buy an Avent pump today!
I bought my avent pump second hand off ebay and it has been fantastic (and a lot cheaper!!!)

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

I have a Madela electric breast pump but also a manual one that fits the accessories of my electric one. As it's a push pull motion it's a bit of a strain on the elbows. Have heard good things about the Avent ones, check out ebay as they had heaps on there when I was looking.
Kristy

member since 2004

Hi Kristy,

Just to share with you my experience on using the Avent pump. Its fantastic! I would easily get a lot more than using the Medela electric whilst expressing at work and its more discreet as well. I would get good results with the Medela pump when my son is nursing on 1 side or if my breasts are really engorged. NUK electric can never be compared to the two mentioned.
I agree Avent!
It seems as though you have already spent a bit of money on pumps - the avent manual new is about $100. I actually got mine on ebay 2nd hand for $35. A good sterilise and it was fine.

Rach - Boy 03.02.04 & Girl 10.01.06

Sign in to follow this topic