Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. STOPPED FEEDING -MILK NOT DRYING UP

STOPPED FEEDING -MILK NOT DRYING UP Rss

Hi there everyone

I stopped feeding my 13 month old daughter 3 weeks ago but my milk still hasn't dried up??

Is this normal? and when should I expect this to happen?
Hi Sian,

I'm not sure if it is normal or not, but you could try taking this thing called Milk-Stop. You can get it from a health food shop. Just ask the people working there for it and they should know what you are taking about.

Becks, NZ Andrew 23-04-04 Josh 14-02-07

Hi, my son weaned himself at 10 months and I continued to express for a 1 month after that. He is now 12 and 1/2 months old and I can still express small amounts of milk by hand. Don't be to concerned your body is an amazing thing and knows exactly what it is doing.
Cheers!
I could still express a little milk in between babies! They were all three years apart until the last two - two years apart. Don't be concerned. I never had any letdown reflex though, so didn't leak or anything. If you have a strong flow still, check with a lactation consultant or try the idea mentioned above.

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

Hi Avas-Mum,

I stopped breastfeeding my ten month old son a month ago and I still have milk. I have been told its not good to take anything to dry up your milk as you are already going through huge hormonal changes and these things can make it far worse. Plus, cause you've breastfed for so long your body is so used to producing it will take a while to switch back. Hope all goes well.

Wendy

Wendy, SA, baby boy Oct 03

Oh thanks for this information!
I am trying to weane my nearly one year old from the breast, and i had no idea that you still carry milk for awhile after! (i suppose now that i think about it though i see why!) anyway its good to know thats what happens, so thanks!!

Amanda
Thanks everyone for your replies. It's not a huge problem but I was very curious.
I think I'll just let it dry up by itself. Lets just hope I don't get a huge letdown when I hear a baby crying at the shops.

Take care
I have incredible letdowns, even now -5 months into breastfeeding my 4th baby and start to gush! I had the plumber come today to replace a toilet and my baby started to cry. Of course I'm standing there listening to him explain the benefits of our lovely new cistern and my milk started to go! With my impeccable planning, I had no breastpads on, so I crossed my arms across my chest 'inconspicuously' (ha!) and tried to appear interested as my milk started to seep thru my shirt. In the end he said "Well I better let you get him hey" and I bolted for the bedroom for a clean shirt! This happens to me all the time. I am personally keeping Pigeon in business with the amount of milk I produce and need soaking up!

Hi Avas mum,
I agree with all the other mums, dont be to concerned, your milk will dry up in time....

Nyrrek, You made me laugh, I had a very similar thing happen to me with my first son. I was at work showing my now 8 year old to my colleagues.. At the time I did'nt feel the let down, an low and behold a very wet shirt ( Very embarressing ) But there the breaks. Im also keeping Johnson and Johnson in business. As my clinic sister siad to me the other day, Your two legged walking jersey cow... LOL...

Keep smiling
Julianne

Julianne, mum of 3 princes and 1 princess

When my Nanna asks my Mum how I am doing she refers to me as "Mummy Milkbottles". Very cute! Any old baby in the supermarket sets me off. Just today my parents and cousin were over and they were all making coffee. I felt my letdown come on really fast and I took off up the hallway saying "My milk is going!". Well after rushing off to put breastpads on, I came back and Dad was gone. I said "Where's Dad?". And Mum said "He's gone to get you some more milk." He thought when I said my milk was going that I was talking about the milk for the coffee! We all had a good laugh.

Sign in to follow this topic