Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Low milk supply Rss

I have a low milk supply and have been trying to breastfeed as much as possible, but only getting between 20-30mls per feed.

How did you cope if you had a low milk supply? What did you do? (herbal remedies to bump it up or stop breastfeeding)

My baby girl is only 6 weeks old. I was planning on breastfeeding until she was at least 6 months old but am really struggling.

I feel very guilty that I cannot give my daughter what she needs.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sarah
aww I feel you on this topic. I was adamant on breastfeeding for as long as possible but my milk supply just wasnt meeting my daughters demands. she started getting colicky and that added to the stress of minimum sleep along with everything else. its exhausting trying to care for a newborn and then on top of that also looking after yourself.My daughter was getting a good 120-150ml per feed until about 8 weeks old then my supply started to slowly dwinder away. I started giving my daughter substitute formula feeds (1 or 2 100ml bottles a day) and that helped so much as I was able to have abit of a break and my daughter wasnt so colicky anymore. talk to your plunket nurse about some options that will benefit you and your baby
Sarah,

Why do you feel you have low milk supply? Pumping output is NOT indicative of supply, nor is a drop in pumping output; there are plenty of mothers all over the world with more than adequate milk supplies who can't pump.

Kellymom has great info about all things milk supply, and other stuff too, and was my bible when bf DS2.

I stopped breastfeeding at 4 weeks and i wish i hadnt- my son wasnt getting enough and because we was having both bottle and breast, bottle was satisfying him more so i stopped breastfeeding. you should really go to a clinic asap (like i should have done) as they often have breastfeeding support people so they can give you some good advice and help you to breastfeed if thats what u really want to do. and if you decide not to for any reason, dont let people make you feel bad- thats what happened to me sad
I recently felt like my supply was dropping too and I found a few things worked for me.

Drinking Aktavite.
Making sure you drink plenty of water and eat a balanced diet - try to eat a fair bit of protein too.
Taking fenugreek capsules.
I also made lactation biscuits and stuff called tigers milk (PM me if you would like the recipes)

I went from having hardly any milk to leaking again smile

Dont give up - it may just be that your breasts are producing just enough to satisfy your bub??

Good luck

I have a low milk supply and have been trying to breastfeed as much as possible, but only getting between 20-30mls per feed.

How did you cope if you had a low milk supply? What did you do? (herbal remedies to bump it up or stop breastfeeding)

My baby girl is only 6 weeks old. I was planning on breastfeeding until she was at least 6 months old but am really struggling.

I feel very guilty that I cannot give my daughter what she needs.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sarah

Hi Sarah,

I had the same problem with you before when my baby was around 6 weeks.
I was tried to replace with the formula, but lucky the next my milk supply back to normal.
If I feel tired, stress & sleepless my milk supply will be decreasing.

I am drinking plenty of water, before feeding my baby I will drink one cup of water. Try to have 1-2 litre of water a day, enough sleep, eat the mungbean or red bean soup.
Hi,

I have a baby with a medical condition and without going into it too much, it was better for bubs condition if she was breast fed for as long as possible.. My supply got low in the early months and I was told by the clinic nurse to take Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle tablets together and drink "Sustagen" four times daily.. My milk came back in plentiful supply and has been great ever since...

Hope this helps and good luck... Keep perservering it will be worth it..

Kezz

Kezz, Qld,Maddy 11, Jai 3 & Mia 7 weeks

[center][/center]I've been having the same problem for a while now. Its very stressing for me because im underweight and have a lack of appetite so I can't eat enough to save myself. Therefore I'm always lacking milk supply and my daughter would want to feed 24/7 because she doesn't get enough. I've tried to put her on formula but that's been a rough road for me so My local nurse also told me to take Sustagen and to try to eat smaller and more frequent meals throuout the day and also to drink plenty of water (that's what breatmilk is mostly made of). Also chocolate is always a good way to boost your milk supply. Good luck with it!
From 6 weeks of age, your breasts do start to accomodate to your Bubs needs so they often no longer feel full.

How often do you feed Bub? Feeding more often is the best way to build your supply back up if that is the issue. Also if Bub is having a growth spurt, they tend to want to feed more often and some people mistake this for Bub not getting enough.

It's hard to know how to help you when I don't know why you think you have a low milk supply.

I would suggest contacting Australian Breastfeeding Association as they can give you some good tips.

Once you get passed the 6 week mark it does get easier.

Good luck.
Hi,

You sound exactly the same as myself and guess what you can have low supply as I do too, I never thought I would make it to 6mths but by DD is now 7.5mths old and I am still breastfeeding!!

Fortunately I met a great midwife who confirmed my supply was low and told me to start expressing every night. I hired the medela electric pump for 2 weeks just to get the hang of it then hand expressed with the medela pump after that.
Go to your GP and get prescription for Motilium tabs.
I took them for 2 months, herbal remedies won't work, so don't waste your valuable time.
Replace your 6pm feed with formula (or whatever time you feed) so your last b/feed will be about 3-4pm ish. I would express at 6 while hubby bottle fed DD but I would only get about 10-20ml so I soon stopped this. Instead I waited till about 9-10pm depending on what time you go to bed, then I could get about 50ml in about 15mins. Make sure you totally empty your breasts as this will promote quicker filling up overnight, it works I would wake around 3am full and leaking!!

I started doing this at about 12 weeks when I felt like giving up and it saved me, the break from that final feed while your partner can give baby the bottle is a godsend.
Like I said I am still going at 7.5mths and loving it. Also after 4mths it gets soooo much easier but unfortunately so many give up by then they don't realise it. I absolutely love b/feeding the bond is incredible and really hope this helps and you don't give up.
Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss further.

PS: I should add that when DD was 6weeks I really struggled so much so that I would sit crying while DD angrily b/fed because she was hungry and not getting enough. Some nights I could feed non stop for 3-4hrs.
I seriously felt I might suffer depression if something didn't change soon so know you are not alone.

Maree
I have just been told I have a supply issue and my little man has only put 240grams in a month, so I have been told by my CHN to start him on solids three times a day and I also have to supp him with formula, (which breaks my heart cause I love BFing).

I was also told to take blessed thistle which helps with milk supply, which I have started taking today.

Hi Tracey,

Gee I don't think that's very good advice considering the age of your bubs.
A lot of CHN's are not very good either I never listen to mine so don't feel you have to, I'd talk to your GP or Paed first before introducing solids so young.
To give you an idea of my DD at 4mths she weighed 6.1kg. 5mths 6.4kg, 6mths 6.7kg. Extremely happy and healthy and b/fed with 1 formula comp for the final feed (NAN HA Gold 1 is the best and closest to b/milk). You can still keep b/feeding just express before bed, one comp feed won't hurt.

Don't feel pressured to start solids just because of low weight gain I only started solids at 6mths and only once a day.
My baby's chiropractor strongly recommended not starting b4 6mths and to start slowly, 3 meals shouldn't be until over 7 mths.
Check out this fab website: www.wholesomebabyfood.com

I don't think any herbal remedies really work for supply the best is Motilium which your GP can prescribe I had a massive improvement after a few days. Took fenugreek which did nothing either.

Don't despair and hold off on solids before a second opinion.

Remember if your baby is happy and healthy weight gain is not an issue, are you and your partner small builds, there's a lot of things to consider before starting solids.

All the best
Maree
Sign in to follow this topic