Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Weaning cold turkey!!! Rss

Hi guys,

I am just after some advice now that I have finally been successful in getting my 7mth to take a bottle. I am going through terrible anxiety about whether or not I am doing the right thing and for the right reasons, but I guess it is mostly seperation anxiety. Now that he is taking the bottle, I don't want to introduce him back to the occassional breastfeed and I am soooooooooo sore. Can anyone give me suggestions as to how to help my soreness and how to stop my supply.... I guess I with lack of sleep, I just hadn't properly prepared myself for when he finally took the bottle... A friend had told me she wrapped herself tightly with a sheet going to bed, but this didn't seem to work for me and I ended up expressing anyway to relieve the pain.....

Thanks Kezz x

Kezz, Qld,Maddy 11, Jai 3 & Mia 7 weeks

i've been told to express just enough to stay comfortable..
keep an eye out for any lumps and if you do feel any massage them out with your palm
cabbage leaves will also help to relive the pain,as will a hot bath or shower on your boobies
hope i can be of help
xxxxx
p.s my milk dried up when Lillie was 4 months so i had no choice but to bottle feed,god i felt like the worst mother in the world and at times still do
xxxx

Lillie....1 year old!!!

hi kezz,

i agree with mimmy on the expressing for comfort and keeping an eye out for lumps, any signs of mastitis, red patches etc.

have you tried cold packs? you may have used something in hospital to help with engorgement? at my hospital they use disposables dampened and then frozen, i think they cut them in half first? but a damp washer or gel cold pack for sprains would help too.

if you use cabbage leaves cut off any big veins in them so that they don't press into your breasts, as they could cause a blockage. and refrigerate them so that they are cold as well.

the tight wrapping could still be used as well.

mum of 3 girls

Hey Kezz, just curious what it means 'weanign cold turkey' - incase I have got it wrong. Does that mean you just stopped BF completely like in one day? I was just curious as to whether it would be painful for me when I finally drop these last two feeds. So far, dropping one feed at a time has been really easy, but I might be one of the lucky ones.

You poor thing, there is really nothing worse than sore boobies. I so don't miss those first few weeks when they would throb and I would wake up in a pool of milk - lol.

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

Kezz,

Look under the thread 'formula guilt'. Zach's mum recommends epsom salt in water once a day for two days and milk will dry up very quickly. Have yet to try it but will when I wean.

Pleasssse tell me how you got successful with the bottle. THANK YOU so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mum to Aidan 20 Jan 04 and Georgia 10 Nov 05

I know just to express the milk to abit to make yourself comfortable and I got told that cabbage is good to stop the milk coming, your poor breast and we all know how you feel and but thats great that your little boy took the bottle my daughter willnt have the bottle at all.

Tracey,Jaye (girl)12/06/05, Sam (boy)10/07/09

Sign in to follow this topic