Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. Breastfeeding, Exercise and Stress

Breastfeeding, Exercise and Stress Rss

My DS has been very unsettled on and off for about 2 weeks. He has silent reflux and has been medicated, but has been constantly hungry, but not feeding for very long. I went to the CHN today and she thinks my milk supply has dropped, which is highly possible as DS never seems satified anymore and cries after every feed.

Has anyone else experienced this due to exercise and/or stress?

If so what helped increase your supply? I am going to the GP on Thursday to ask for Donperadon (sp).

I am now suppliment feeding, but hoping to fully bf again soon!
The same thing has happened to me twice. In fact I am in the middle of trying to up my supply at the moment. Fenugreek a herb that you can get at health food shops helps (but makes you smell like curry!) And expressing whenever you do have a bit extra(I find this bit hard as usually it is in the middle of the night if at all) Ask your DR what side effedts the medication has. I got put on Maxalon as that ups your supply too (not that it worked I think i was too far gone, but it also turned me into a zombie-not helpful when dealing with kids!
Relax and don't think about it(i know mostly impossible!)I find that i usually have the milk but because I am worrying that I don't, it doesn't let down and that causes DS to fuss cause he can't get at the milk! My best feeds are when I am in front of the telly or being distracted by my DD (2). Something as simple as her asking me a question and me having to answer it can be enough for my brain to stop interfering with my let down!! Sometimes it can take 5 mins of sucking for me to let down other time 30seconds (which still seems like forever!
Good luck it is hard work and so easy to give up like I did with my DD (partly because i was given so much advice i didn't know what to do!). Just remember if you do give bub the bottle not to worry and don't let others with opinions tell you the bottle is wrong! I got so upset with myself for not being able to feed DD after 12 weeks and for no reason as she has turned out fine!! Breast is best as long as everyone is happy if not look after your well being and your babies by feeding however you can.
Mine dropped when my cousin came to visit me when the baby was5weeks old, and stole my laptop, 200 bucks and camera with my sons first 5 weeks on it. Had to report it to the police and caused a bit of friction in the family. Anywhoo, supply dropped and I had to really relax, eat and drink well and concentrate on thinking about my baby, how much I loved him, wanted to feed him, etc... Eventually it came back. It really is very mental.
Haven't breast feed yet but read one of the other lady's one day say they had porridge (oats) everyday for breakfast and it increased her supply dramatically, not sure though you'd have to give it a try!!!Goodluck laugh
Thanks lovely ladies! I actually do eat porridge everyday sad so that obviously isn't helping me!

DS has actually started refusing the breast now, but does seem more settled with the formula. I was unable to bf my DD after 3 weeks, when my Mum was very sick in hospital and this time my DH has injured himself and is unable to return to work, so again I have a lot of stress!

Thanks Mummy Nat, I am not worried about FF as I had to do this with DD and she is one of the happiest and healthiest toddlers I know. I am just a little disheartened as I have had so much trouble BF and have persevered to now have it drop and be refused. Oh well, at least I got to 10 weeks this time smile
If you want to try for a bit longer, a high protien diet, Sustagen Hospital Grade - if not in woolies then at you local chemist, Breast Feeding Support vitamin (if you can't get that the Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle), a daily multi vitamin, keep your fluids up and Tiger Milk which is 1 Banana 1 Egg 300mls Milk 1tsp Honey 1tsp Vanilla 1dsp Cenovis Brewers Yeast 1dsp Lecithin (the last two are available at health shops and pharmacies) Tiger's Milk and/or Sustagen 3-4 times a day [list] [item]Try to be stress free when you feed [/item][item]Skin to skin contact with baby is best for increasing "Milk Making Hormones" [/item][item]Massage breasts towards nipple before a feed [/item][item]A heat pack or hot washer before a feed [/item][item]Increase feeds to 10 - 12 times a day (not always possible I know, but use your boos instead of a dummy where possible) [/item][/list] I got all this from my OB and Baby clinic as I'm trying to increase my own milk supply. I can't bring myself to the Tigers milk (the whole raw egg thing) but I'm doing everything else and it seems to be working. Also, if you want to go that way, you can ask for a script for Motilium. It helps increase milk and doesn't have any affect on bub. I had to stop BF with DD and I do regret it. I'm going to try to keep BF with DS for as long as I can

My DS has been very unsettled on and off for about 2 weeks. He has silent reflux and has been medicated, but has been constantly hungry, but not feeding for very long. I went to the CHN today and she thinks my milk supply has dropped, which is highly possible as DS never seems satified anymore and cries after every feed.

Has anyone else experienced this due to exercise and/or stress?

If so what helped increase your supply? I am going to the GP on Thursday to ask for Donperadon (sp).

I am now suppliment feeding, but hoping to fully bf again soon!

Hey Mummy Mez,

What have bubs wet and dirty nappies been like? How many is he getting over 24 hours, and what do they look like, is the wee clear or pale without a strong smell?

A lot of mums who have reflux babies assume that they are not getting enough milk because they are unsettled, but this is often not to do with the amount of milk they are drinking, but the pain that they are in.

This article about breastfeeding babies who have reflux is great http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/reflux.html and talks about how reflux babies need short, frequent feeds as opposed to large ones so that their stomach is not filled to max capacity, as this will add pressure and make the reflux worse.

Taking herbal remedies to increase your supply is something that can make reflux worse, as if there is more milk for bub to drink, it fills their tummy, again causing more pain.

Please call the Breastfeeding Helpline on 1800 686 268, a Breastfeeding Counsellor can help you work out a plan to achieve what you want to.

Yes your not alone!! With my first baby at 4 months my milk dried up, at about 3 - 3 1/2 months she just got really stressed, she was fussing at Every feed, trying to latch but pulling away screaming and I had no idea what was going on just thought she was fussing, then at a plunket visit I found out she had Lost 600gm in 2 weeks!! It was absolutely horrible and painful. She had actually been starving, litterally been starving, was very painful. I went and wieghed her before and after a feed and at my second feed of the day only had 12ml of milk. So I put her on the bottle and she just started guzzling!! I tried to keep doing a morning feed but she basically just kept fussing and just wanted her bottle so I just gave her the bottle. I was given some drop to take but I desided not to. If my body wasn't going to do it I wasn't going to make it and she had been hungry for so long that I didn't want her to go through the wait of my milk getting back up if it even worked. I think my milk dried up from stress, nothing to do with being a mum just had other stuff going on and I didn't show it outwardly so I was just carrying it all and my milk quality would have gotten worse and then just started drying up. So you aren't the only one. You could try a drop I don't remember the name though sorry.

I have an 8 week old now though and feeding is still going fine though it did for the first 3 months with my daughter too. Though I don't think I'll have a problem this time because what was going on last time is not this time. So hopefully I can feed my little man for longer smile I hope it works out for you but just let it go without the guilt if you can't end up breastfeeding this has happend to more than just you smile Sometime our circimstances are just out of our control. when it comes to having to bottle feed because you have no milk left it can be pain full but ours bubs just need food and sometimes formula is better than low quality milk but I do hope you can get your supply back up smile all the best (also keeping a good healthy diet will help)
Best prescription you can get is motillium... Ask you doc for this. I had major supply issues at first, but after a week on motillium, plus drinking fenugreek as a tea and expressing to increase things are much better. Bub is putting on 250-290 grams a week and very happy baby. Also - I know everyone says it, but u REALLY need to drink allot of water and relax...at least 1.5 liters, more if you drink coffee/coke ect. I also have been taking elevit for extra vitamins, same as I took during pregnancy... Took me 4 weeks to get Everything on track during which time I was expressing all hubs feeds so don't give up, there is hope!
Sign in to follow this topic