Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. Drinking Water between feeds

Drinking Water between feeds Rss

Was just wondering if other parents had ideas on how to get babies to drink more water.
We have recently changed my 5 month old to S26 AR (as he tends to be a bit vomity) and subsequently he became a constipated. The child health nurse advised me to get him to drink more fluids/water but trying to get him to drink it is rather challenging. Any ideas? Thanks

I have a 6mo with really bad reflux and to get her to drink water is a nightmare, because as soon as I put her down or ever if she is sitting up she just vomits it back up again, my daughter is on karicare AR and I also have to add food thickner to her formula to keep it down, my mother jokes all the time that she should use a fork to eat it. and she has also become constipated, so bad that her bottom has bled, but eventually nature will fix it on its own, because trust me it is awful on both mother and baby and so bloody stressful, so just relax and hope that it fixes it self, sometimes adding a bit of cordial so they have something to taste, I know this is bad, but hey it works, and it is only a bit like a teaspoon to 250mls

3 kids under 3

Hi Kerry,
Try adding 1/2 teaspoon of brown sugar to 125mls of luke warm boiled water. The brown sugar gives the water a sweeter taste, and will also help with constipation. Once your baby is drinking the water, decrease the sugar each day, until you are adding no sugar at all. I did this with my little boy, when he was 4 months old, and by 5 months he was having no sugar at all. He is now 9 months old and drinks around 400-500mls of water each day, plus milk. Hope this helps you.
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

i thought my son would never drink water and now he is a water hog! a friend of mine suggested a sipper cup for him as he didn't seem to want water from a bottle. it took a while but we just kept offering and praising if he took any. when he could sit up we just left the cup with him on the floor so he could have it whenever he wanted and we have never looked back. persevere and he will eventually start drinking it.

Kelly,QLD, boy 23.01.03 and girl 08.04.05

Sign in to follow this topic