Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. Increasing milk supple - HOW?

Increasing milk supple - HOW? Rss

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how i can increase my milk supply?
I can only express about 20mls at the most and am feeding my baby formula although i would like to increase my milk supply enough to be alternating bottle/breast.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Mummy to Talana Michelle Kimberley (13/12/2003)

What I did was hired an electric breast pump and used this for 5 mins on each side immediately after finishing feeding the baby. I didn't get very much out but what it did was stimulate more supply by tricking the body into thinking the baby wanted more. You can also express in between feeds which in turn will increase your supply or you can do it by feeding baby more often. Do this for about a week and then return to your normal feeding routine and it might work. I can't guarantee it as you wish to alternate with formula and this sometimes actually compromises your supply.

Another alternative is to just top up the baby with formula after each breastfeed. I did the formula top up when Madison was around 4-6 weeks as I didn't have confidence that my supply was adequate, I continued this for about 2-3 days until I decidied to trust myself to only breastfeed and rely on Madison to give me signs for when she wanted more and then giving her more frequent feeds.
Another alternative is to contact the Australian Breastfeeding Association - they have volunteers that you can call and I have found them very helpfull on a couple of occasions. This site has their website under links and resources.

Vic, 2 girls - 9 yo & 17mth old

How much didi it cost you to rent an electric breastpump?
I have a manual one and it works for about 10 mins then all of a suddent there doesnt seem to be any more suction. I make sure that it is attached properly but im sure im doing something wrong!
I would like to rent a electic pump though, just to see if it is better

Not sure exactly how much it cost to rent cause my husband went to the chemist and arranged everything. But I think it was about $50 for one month and he had to buy the bottle and other bits that go with the pump. You also have to leave a bond of about $100 which you get back when you return the pump. Depending on how long you want the pump for and if you will have more children it might be worth finding out how much it is to purchase one.
Why not call your local chemist on the phone and ask about costs for hiring a pump.

The best way I increased my supply was to allow my daughter to completely drain the breast. Comfort sucking also produces more milk as they are more likely to drain the breast. Milk is produced because the breast has been emptied. If you only half empty it then it will only fill it up to full again (ie half fill it). If you empty it then it will fill up much more therefore increasing milk production. The ABA has booklets with information on increasing your supply and also lots of other breastfeeding information. They are available on their website or from your local ABA representative.
Goodluck.

Rachel, 20mth girl + 1 on the way

How did you know that you were completley drained?
I was talking about this with a friend of mine and she said (i've noticed this too) that her breasts got itchy just before the end of a feed.
Has anyone else noticed this?

Hi Leanne
I was told in hospital to eat loads of unsalted cashews??? i don't know if it worked, but its worth a try. i also brought an electris breast pump (which is also battery operated) from memory i think it was around $150. When i was a lot madder than now....i use to get up a 4am every morning to express....but i don't advise doing that!!!
I havn't really noticed any itching after a feed, usually when i was full. Good luck!

mum of 1

Hi Leanne,
before a feed your breasts feel full and firm afterwards your breast should feel soft and dare i say it - floppy. I agree with desertgirl about making sure the breast is completly empty. If the baby keeps sucking after this then a message is sent to the brain that there wasn't enough milk and will produce more for the next feed.
But if you seriously want more info, go the ABA wbsite - http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/ and you will find out heaps more.

I did find they got itchy too!

About the pumps! I bought an Avent Isis pump that came with a disposable bottle system that is great for freezing breastmilk! This cost just over $90 but was worth it as I can use it for how ever long and for any other children I have! The suction is really great and comfortable too! I had another pump that had terrible suction and was lucky to get 40ml out of each breast, with the Avent I was getting on average 150ml combined!!

Mum(29) - DS 7yr, DD 4yr & DD 2yr

Offering more feeds increases supply. Also make sure you're getting and adequate supply of b-complex vitamins. A glass of beer at nite is good, believe it or not, and I've heard peanuts are good too! There is a tea made by my local health food store too. It contains caroway, fennel, anniseed and a couple of other herbs - if anyone is interested I could find the exact recipe as I found this tea was incredible.

Regarding breast pump hire - the Nursing mothers hires them. There website is www.breastfeeding.asn.au I think it's $50 deposit and $20 a week. I recently bought a pump brand new in the box from ebay for $65 so that is another option and you don't need a credit card.

Hi Leanne, well I've always had such a good milk supply (nice and big and full) that I just knew when they were empty - they were quite saggy after my daughter finished feeding and she always came off when she has finished. Also, you should never take a bub off the breast, they should always come off themselves. They are very good at letting you know when they've had enough. If they come off one side and still want more then offer the other side. The first side would have been well and truly drained. The first part of the feed the babies get thirst quenching milk which is kind of like skim milk and just basically quenches their thirst. The second part of the feed the babies get hind milk which is the "fat" milk which contains the fat the babies need for putting on weight and growing. It is important that bubs get a good balance of both milk types. Once you've established a good feeding routine, you should be in tune with your breasts and generally know when they're full or empty. Also, after a good long feed it generally takes about a hour for your breasts to fill up again. However, once again everyone is different.
Goodluck.

Rachel, 20mth girl + 1 on the way

Hey jo77,
Thanks for your reply.
Unsalted Cashews? I'll certanly try them!
It might sound weird to you but i have noticed itchy breasts and it drives me crazy! Another friend did too but maybe it is different for some people?

Sign in to follow this topic