Huggies Forum

VBAC Lock Rss

Hi Alex,

I had an emergency c-sec 11 months ago with my first a baby boy.

I believe that I could have had it naturaly had i been a bit more aware of all the info and had support...i had a delayed labour, slow prgress and only dilated to 8cm..
so a total of 42 hr later i was operated on..
i hated the fact that i was basically tied down to the bed for mor than 8 hrs...

i want to take a doula with me for next time.
Can you give me advice on VBAC's and the success rates and the things I can do to maximise my chances of a VB...i am planning to try for No. 2 later this year.

Thanks
Ekta

Ekki, NSW, Baby Boy 20/4/05

Hi Ekki,
Thank you for your enquiry and for sharing your story. Sometimes a long slow labour can occur for a couple of reasons. The first is that it is your body’s way of saying that the baby is not going to fit, that is, the size of your pelvis may be too small. The second reason could have been that your body became very tired from the prolonged labour and stopped working effectively, this means the labour didn’t progress. In your case it could have been either of these things or a combination. When a woman has her first baby it can take a long time for the labour to establish. It is advised that during this time a woman tries to continue as normally as possible and to eat, exercise and rest. Quite often this does not happen and the woman becomes quite tired and her body then suffers.
It is great that you have experienced labour as this will help you for next time. It may be best to discuss your experience with your health professional so that they can access your records to determine if there may have been another reason or if you need some further investigations (such as checking the size of your pelvis). It is very possible that you will be able to have a vaginal birth next time. If your Doctor rules it out you can always get a second opinion and many birth centres happily accept previous caesarian women.
Best wishes,
Alex.

<a href="http://www.nswmidwives.com.au/">NSW Midwives Association</a>
Note: This information is not designed to replace that of your health professional.
Sign in to follow this topic