Huggies Forum

Placenta Praevia- scared!!! Lock Rss

It's me again- I have been worrying myself sick over the fact I have been diagnosed with Placenta Praevia Grade 4 (serious) and had a week in hospital (2 weeks ago) with a slight bleed. They let me go home to rest and said to come back if any more bleeding occurred...One Doc wasn't too happy with me going and said the bleeding could occur overnight and I could haemmorage in my sleep and die which scared the wits out of me. My head Doc said to go home and just be 'sensible'- no lifting, straining on loo etc. I only live 5 mins from hospital and have a great support network so i'm looked after 24/7, but I've been reading heaps on the net and some reasearch says go home and rest and others say it is life threatening!!! I'm confused to all this conflicting advice and it's scaring me to no end. What is your advice??? I would also like to hear from anyone who has or is suffering from this??????Thanks

Mel, NSW, Riley , Flynn & Ethan

Hi,

It is unfortunate that you have placenta praevia grade 4 as this means that the placenta will more than likely stay over your os (the opening to the uterus) and you will need a caesarean section for the birth of your baby. It is great that you are being careful and avoiding straining etc. If you have had no further bleeding then it is best to be sensible and try to be as normal as possible. It is more than likely that there will be no further problems and you can be booked in for an elective caesarean before your due date. The os really does not move much during pregnancy and stays closed and it is only during labour that the risk of bleeding increases. It is great that you live close to the hospital and you can contact them at any time if you have any problems. Try not to worry too much and enjoy your pregnancy.

Best wishes,
Alex.

NSW Midwives Association

Note: This information is not designed to replace that of your health professional.
Hi Mel11,
My wife has also been diagnosed with Grade 4 placenta previa, however it looks like she'll be in hospital for the rest of the pregnancy, currently 30+2 weeks. She has had 2 slight bleeds, the first occurred interstate whilst on holiday. The thought of being isolated for such a long time without the support of friends and family caused us to return home for local care. My wife is also quite scared after learning about the true risks associated with this pregnancy complication, we're taking the approach the professionals know what their talking about, so a hospital stay (however inconvenient) is a small price to pay for a future of joy and happiness with our family of four. I try to look at it with a positive spin, I get to look after our 2 1/2 year old exclusively for a while and are looking forward to further strengthening our bond.
I hope it works out for you and your family.

Cheers,

Andrew K
Sign in to follow this topic