Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

The difference in twins Lock Rss

Hi Maree,

I have twin boys 5mths old, they share the same room but sleep in seperate cots. I can not keep them awake past 6-6.30pm. Twin 2 (bigger twin)would then wake at 2.30am for a feed and Twin 1 at 3.30am -4am. This means i am up and down all night. I have just introduced a 'dream feed' at 9.30pm -10pm and most night this gets them through to 4.30am- 5am.

As well as waking for their feeds they stir about 5 times each a night (=10+) which means between the 2 of them we are up all night. Usually when they wake they just need to be rolled or tucked back in etc...

Do you think a dream feed is a good idea, and do you have any other suggestions you could offer?

your help would be much appreciated....

Lee, twins + 1= 3 boys

Hi,
From the age of 6 months on a baby should be able to sleep through the night 7pm to 7am without a feed.
A ‘dream feed’ or rollover feed as we call it, is given at 6 months on so you can go straight into settling techniques knowing confidently that baby is not hungry.
As the babies are still 5 months and probably smaller than average being twins you may still need to give them one overnight feed, but on other wakings you could be using settling techniques.
A ‘dream feed’ is not going to stop this constant waking because mostly it’s not about being hungry rather so much as not knowing how to sleep independently.
The babies need to be settled awake into their cot, and if you are not already following a feed/play/sleep routine I would highly recommend that this be put in place as well.

Once we are aware that there is a reason for the wakings then it is not so hard to understand why we need to implement a settling program.

With twins you would be best to separate them in the short term. You need to work on settling the worst sleeper first and then you can move on the better sleeper in week or two.

You can get details for our settling program from <a href="http://www.huggies.com/au/pregnancy_parenting/yourbabysleep/">Your Baby’s Sleep</a> page or from <a href="It's time to sleep</a"http://www.itstimetosleep.com/">It's Time To Sleep</a> DVD&BOOK.

Best of luck.
Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Sign in to follow this topic