Huggies Forum

6mth old waking at 4.00 am Rss

Hi Maree

I am hoping you can offer me some advice. I have a 6 month old daughter who was sleeping from 7.30pm until about 6.30am. In the last 2weeks she has been waking at around 11.00 pm then again at around 4.00 am! I read that at this age night waking has nothing to with hunger and is a sleep issue. What can I do to stop the night waking??

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Gabriella, Chiara & angel called home

At 6 months a baby may well still be waking for a night feed, but to get them sleeping through the night from 6 months on we can offer a rollover feed. With a rollover feed we wake baby gently at about 10pm and offer a feed very quietly, not changing a nappy (unless it’s dirty) and not putting on the lights.

We then resettle awake into the cot using the settling techniques found on the <a href="http://www.huggies.com/au/pregnancy_parenting/yourbabysleep/">Your Baby’s Sleep</a>. When baby wakes at say 2am then we can start the settling techniques straight away, knowing confidently that baby is not hungry.
If your daughter has been sleeping through the night previously, and you are happy that she is eating well during the day, then you might like to apply the settling techniques at 11 pm and 4 am without the rollover feed.

Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Thanks Maree - wouldn't you know it - she is sleeping through again and I haven't done anything! Perhaps she was going through a "phase"!

Gabriella, Chiara & angel called home

That’s great, however do keep in mind that the rocking is a sleep association and if you need to, use our settling techniques.

Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Sign in to follow this topic