Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

waking at 3am Rss

hi maree,
my son of 4mths has 5 feeds in a 24hr period he was waking every 2hrs for a feed in the night/early morning, we figured out it was habbit and gave him boiled water. it has worked but know he wakes at 3am and we cant settle him i have tried shh pat, dummies, rocking, music, the only thing that will settle him is if i feed him! do we persist or just feed him at 3. his feed before is a dream feed at 11pm. i am breast feeding, should we give him a bottle? very confused and not sure where to go from here and dose self settling have anything to do with this?

fiona NSW scott 4mth

Hi Fiona

I hear you loud and clear and also dying to know what Maree's response is.

Our little buddle now 6 1/2 months has started doing this. I have tried feeding her solids later and earlier plus a greater gap between the solid and breast feed and nothing has worked.

She normally goes down around 6.30/7pm and wakes almost guaranteed every night around 3am. She isn't dependent upon her dummy, and talking to calm her down, playing music don't work.

I also thought perhaps she isn't getting enough from the breast... most times she falls asleep and doesn't have a full feed before going down.

Us mums' need to stick together as there has to be a solution.

Good luck
Welling to try anything for a good nights rest.

Mum of two Chloe & Ashton

Hi Fiona

After replying to your question I spoke to a girlfriend of mine who suggested putting another layer of clothing on her as around 3am is the coolest part of the night, even in QLD so I tried it and I AM DELIGHTED TO SAY IT WORKED, not just one night but 4 nights, can you believe that. It sounds so simple but it does make sense.
I only hope this continues as I am loving the sleep.

Good luck.
Shell

Mum of two Chloe & Ashton

Hi,
Sometimes we try so many things that both baby and mother are confused.
Firstly, try using our settling method and stick with it for at least a week or 2 otherwise you just send mixed messages and nothing works.
At 4 months we don’t recommend a rollover feed. When baby is 6 months old which is when baby should be able to sleep 7pm to 7am without an overnight feed, the rollover feed is used to give you confidence that baby is not hungry when using settling techniques through the night.
The breast feeding is not the problem it is when a baby falls asleep during a feed (bottle or breast)that it becomes a problem.
I would let baby sleep until he wakes on his own and offer one overnight feed. For any other wakings use the settling techniques instead of feeding. These techniques should also be used for all sleeps because baby learns from repetition
You can get an overview of our settling program from the <a href=" https://www.huggies.com.au/BeingAParent/YourBab... Baby’s Sleep</a> section of the Huggies site or for more detail, and a visual demonstration, from <a href="It&#39;s time to sleep&lt;/a" />It's Time To Sleep</a> DVD&BOOK.
Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Sign in to follow this topic