Huggies Forum

Headlice from Childcare Lock Rss

Hi Guys,

Please help, my 2 year old son keeps coming home from childcare with Headlice.

I have been treating them, removing all lice and eggs, changing the sheets, treating myself and my husband for it but somehow he keeps coming back with them. I have also been retreating him 1 week after application like the instructions say to catch any that may hatch from eggs.

Is there a product out there on the market that is better than others?

I have tried the following two products:

KP24
Knitwits

I am sick of spending so much money on these products to have to redo again and again.

I was so embarrassed to receive a call to come and get him from kindy just now because he has head lice sad
When DD has got them i comb conditioner through her hair every 3 days. Something worth a try vinegar apparently it helps. Spraying the hair with water and some tea tree oil everyday.
Lice love clean hair. You can get products from the chemist to leave in your childs hair containing natural oils, lavender and tea tree oil I think. It coats the hair folicals and the eggs/lice cant attach.

http://lbdf.lilypie.com/dh24m7.png

Hi there, my mum used to put tea tree oil in our conditioner, mind you she put enough in to kill a rabbit lol grin none the less we never got head lice. It is pretty potent so a few drops should be enough, as long as you can smell it in his hair. Just be careful to not get it in his eyes and rinse well... Our neighbours used to get them all the time, unfortunately they seem to be hard to get rid of once you get them. You could use some eucalyptus oil on your hot wash for sheets etc too, and see if that helps. Good luck, I hope they go away for you soon!

LHB

Spray tea tree oil in his hat. And also put moose/hairspray in his hair on the day he goes to childcare (just until the outbreak stops) the nits cant cling to the hair so he wont get any.
before he goes just comb conditioner through his hair so the lice won't stick to them....
When we were kids mum used to use kerosene :/ she would put a cap full into a half full bath rinse our hair in that then shampoo it twice with normal shampoo and then put conditioner in and use a nit comb and comb small pieces at once and wipe it on a tissue to see if anything would come out. Needless to say we never got nits but when there was a break out shed always do it she said the expensive stuff never worked and I guess it didn't damage our hair at all because me my brother and sister have very nice hair smile but in saying this we were older as we were in primary school so maybe just do th conditioner bit on him and try tee tree oil or something like that. Good luck with it all.
We had our first bout a few weeks ago now....grrrr.... so expensive when your daughter has more hair on her head than myself, hubby and my son have combined.... it was absolute HELL using the comb and conditioner....

Anyway, one of the lovely members on here gave me a link to a website. I would love love love to treat us like this next time, but, it would mean my daughter sitting on a chair having me comb her hair for nearly 1.5 hours each night... <span class="emoticon sad">sad</span> sadly far too long...

We are using Moov Headlice Senstive. You put it in and put a shower cap on for 20 minutes, then wash it out. You repeat it weekly for a further 2 weeks. It hasn't worked perfectly for us because I think one of my children is again in contact with a child with headlice at school...grrr

The stuff we use is a shocker to wash out. Seriously I have to wash my daughers hair 4 times with lots of shampoo just to get it out! Then I do it with conditioner to make any knots from washing it so much come out easier....

Anyway, here is the link for the cheap way to deal with it, obviously ideal for those wish shortish and not thick or long hair... lol
How to treat headlice

Is OVER rude people

Hey chick, yep they are buggers to eradacate sad

Just remember that there is a limit on how often you can treat your childs hair with the headlice treatment - just a reminder - which makes it harder because then what are you meant to do...

I agree with the pp who commented about putting conditioner in your childs hair and then combing this will help if there are any lice, after using treatment have a bowl of water (as warm as possible) with vinegar in it and as you comb dip the comb in the vinegar, the acid in it helps to dissolve the glue that binds the nit to the hair and makes them easier to remove.

tea tree is a natural repellant for them - if you have not used it on or around your little ones before then I suggest you put it on their clothes and run around for the day at home to make sure that it does not cause headaches - if all good add to conditioner or add some lavender, and tea tree to water in a spray bottle and use that when doing the kids hair in the morning.

Good luck..

Leigha''s little men smile

Get the clippers out!!!

No, seriously, head lice jump not fly, so the advantage of a boy is you can shave their hair off to minimise the chances of reinfection (also makes it easier for you to do a regular conditioner comb thru to check for the odd one or two trying to reinfest)

Get the clippers out!!!

No, seriously, head lice jump not fly, so the advantage of a boy is you can shave their hair off to minimise the chances of reinfection (also makes it easier for you to do a regular conditioner comb thru to check for the odd one or two trying to reinfest)

This is soooo an advantage of having boys! They are raging at pre school and about 80% of the boys have had their hair clippered. My son likes his head almost completely bald and begged for it continually when he was 2 until I gave in. Now they are all baldy, so he finally is trendy!!

Hairdresser friend swears by the preventer spray stuff on her curly headed daughter. It's tea tree based like others have said.

Get the clippers out!!!

I use to agree with this lol that is until when the boys were at school and it was always the one that had the super short hair that got the bloomin things and I was forever telling the other boys that they needed to get their hair cut (long surfer look) but they only got them like twice in comparison to the shortest cut every other week lol

Leigha''s little men smile

Sign in to follow this topic