Huggies Forum

How do you remove oil pastels? Lock Rss

I'm so frickin' angry at DH. On Sunday he was home and caught DD2 getting his oil pastels out of this box he keeps all his drawing things in and he told her off, saying they're daddies special crayons . I told him he needs to put all the pastels up high somewhere, he said "She knows not to touch them, and the latch should be on (the box)". I told him that it's too much of a temptation for her, and she obviously can open the latch, so I again asked him to move them.
For some crazy reason, I assumed he had. But, I just got out of the shower, and what has happened, DD2 has got to them again, and drawn on the carpet and walls...grrrr.

Does anyone know what would be the best way to try and clean it? I'm scared I'm going to make it worse if I just try my usual carpet cleaner stuff.
Athaye wrote:
I'm so frickin' angry at DH. On Sunday he was home and caught DD2 getting his oil pastels out of this box he keeps all his drawing things in and he told her off, saying they're daddies special crayons . I told him he needs to put all the pastels up high somewhere, he said "She knows not to touch them, and the latch should be on (the box)". I told him that it's too much of a temptation for her, and she obviously can open the latch, so I again asked him to move them.
For some crazy reason, I assumed he had. But, I just got out of the shower, and what has happened, DD2 has got to them again, and drawn on the carpet and walls...grrrr.

Does anyone know what would be the best way to try and clean it? I'm scared I'm going to make it worse if I just try my usual carpet cleaner stuff.

I was sick a week or so ago and walked out of my bedroom at lunch time to find crayon all over the lounge room floor. So I totally understand how you feel!

Id use dish liquid and warm water on oil pastel. You wanna cut through the greasiness of it then rinse it off.

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

Not sure about the carpet but for the walls try a thick paste made from bicarb . and water and gently rub it.

Maybe try something like spray n wipe or something similar which is made to break down oil or grease!

oil pastels can be a hard one to get off, i use them in my art work sometimes and DD got to them once but she only got them on the wall. go to the shop and get some 'magic erasers' from the cleaning section that will get them off the walls (dont rub too hard or yourll remove paint!) for the carpet id just use a bit of spray n wipe in a little warm water and try to blot it out with a cloth, like anystain blot and twist dont rub or youll sread it around...it might take quite a few goes to remove it all. picking at it with your nails might help a bit too to pull the pigment out of your carpet fibres. what colour/s did she use and what colour is your carpet?

preen might be a good option after youve tried to remove as much as you can with the warm water too

good luck!
Not too sure, I still have zinc cream all over my DDs rocking horse from several years ago. I'd be mighty annoyed with DH though. I would move his special crayons for him, and leave the mess for him to clean up. Or better still, give dd the crayons to play with outside, and tell him she got to them before you could stop her smile Maybe next time he will listen to you. I can understand why you are annoyed! I would be mega angry too!

3 girls are enough...the shop is now shut!

Thanks so much ladies - you have given some great ideas! grin

I hadn't even thought of something like dish washing liquid or spray and wipe type things...duh, it makes sense!
I think I've got some magic erasers (and I have taken paint off before...oops), wasn't sure if they'd do the job, but I guess with some spray they might!

I'll give it all a go tomorrow, I want DH to see her nice artwork first!
I would use pink soap, then rinse well. I do use homemade soap to clean my brushes though most artist don't. Commercial shampoos have silicone in them and will coat the hairs so don't use them it will dry out the hairs and make them brittle
Sign in to follow this topic