Huggies Forum

coping being a single parent Rss

Hi, I'm about to become a single mummy for my first time!
Im a bit over 25 weeks pregnant and i'm scared and exited at the same time about being a mummy grin

I'm concerned that once bub is born, how so many single parents manage to work and be a great parent at the same time and not have any family assistance to look after there bub's while they have to go to work to support there new bub?? Are there any other persons in my situation who have done it or are going through it?? I'm only 23.
I HOPE I'M NOT ALONE!!
I was a single parent for 8 years from when my daughter was 1 up until she was 8. She is now 13. Her biological father lost interest when we split and is the classic dead beat dad.
I know how hard it can be and how opinionated and small minded people are. Even people who are trying to be supportive can be insulting by saying they can understand what its like which, until they are in that situation never will. While it can be extremely hard, it can also be very rewarding and motivating. While we struggled financially in the first couple of years after i got my degree and a good job I realised I had learned to become so independent and have thrived because of it. While in the beginning i had to tolerate the 'single mum on the pension' thing, now I hear how proud people are on how much achieved. My priority in life was to ensure my daughter had the best upbringing possible. I gave it my all and thats all i could possibly do. Thats all anyone can do.
One thing that I was amazed at is the fact that one of my friends actually once couldn't cope with her own child on her own for one night while her husband was on night shift. That is how I explained to her "welcome to my life". For those who see being a single parent as being easy, then I challenge them to live my life for a week or a month. You see how it is to organise daycare, babysitters etc and also working 2 jobs and also studying full time, all by yourself!

wow tan thanks that made me realise so much more.
sorry to hear about the father.

well in my situation i left him as he abused me and i was in hospital whilst i was 14weeks pregnant for a week and for my birthday sad

im now 27 weeks pregnant and excited but sometimes feel a bit lonely but just thinking about wow cant wait to meet lil bub smile

I was a single parent for 8 years from when my daughter was 1 up until she was 8. She is now 13. Her biological father lost interest when we split and is the classic dead beat dad.
I know how hard it can be and how opinionated and small minded people are. Even people who are trying to be supportive can be insulting by saying they can understand what its like which, until they are in that situation never will. While it can be extremely hard, it can also be very rewarding and motivating. While we struggled financially in the first couple of years after i got my degree and a good job I realised I had learned to become so independent and have thrived because of it. While in the beginning i had to tolerate the 'single mum on the pension' thing, now I hear how proud people are on how much achieved. My priority in life was to ensure my daughter had the best upbringing possible. I gave it my all and thats all i could possibly do. Thats all anyone can do.

that is really inspiring!!! smile
You can only do your best. I was petrified at the thought of having a child on my own and I was 26. I found it had its moments right from the start, but I got on with things like grocery shopping etc LOL.

It is very rewarding to have a child and some times I still think I cannot believe that I made this child and gave birth to her, and have to look after her.....and when she says things like oh mummy your so silly or oh mummy i love you so much, then you realise its worth it LOL.

It is sad that this day-in-age that people still have the opinion that single mothers do it just for the Centrelink money(cos Centrelink pays soooo much money! Yeah right!). No one stops to think that in order for there to be a baby there needs to be a father and maybe he is the reason why there is now a mother raising her baby/ies on her own - isn't it horrible that people would rather a mother stay with crappy man then do it on her own. My mother constantly pressures me to stay with my twit-of-a-husband cos she is more worried about the public and family backlash then how mine and my baby's life is like with him. You go girls! You are leading the way for feminism and making the world a better place for your children!

i was just wondering how every one copes with being a single parent? im in a small minded mining town and somedays the critasizem and comments and that get to me. i was wondering how othe people cope with this?

i am a single mum, i met my babies father in the uk and decided that i wanted to come back to oz to be with my family to raise her, he wanted nothing to do with us so it was scary but the best decision i made, i came home and had to explain to a lot of friends and family that i was pregnant and choosing to be a single mum, the ones that looked down upon me and judged me either changed there minds once they saw my bond with my child or they simply were left behind as i moved forward, i let my daughters father in to our lives when she was 1 years old and that was the worst mistake of my life, he hurt betrayed and became violent, i am now 8 months pregnant and my daughter and i are just on our feet again from the terrible experience he has put us through, i now have to face the looks and the questions of expecting to bring another child in to the world that does have the same father as my daughter but where is he, i simply hold my head high and walk each day knowing that my children are loved and well cared for and the disapproving people that judge us before they walk in our shoes will never know true strength love and determination to succeed in life, that's the only advice i can give, take each day as it comes and know that you are a great mum and lovely person and thats all that counts

i am a single mum, i met my babies father in the uk and decided that i wanted to come back to oz to be with my family to raise her, he wanted nothing to do with us so it was scary but the best decision i made, i came home and had to explain to a lot of friends and family that i was pregnant and choosing to be a single mum, the ones that looked down upon me and judged me either changed there minds once they saw my bond with my child or they simply were left behind as i moved forward, i let my daughters father in to our lives when she was 1 years old and that was the worst mistake of my life, he hurt betrayed and became violent, i am now 8 months pregnant and my daughter and i are just on our feet again from the terrible experience he has put us through, i now have to face the looks and the questions of expecting to bring another child in to the world that does have the same father as my daughter but where is he, i simply hold my head high and walk each day knowing that my children are loved and well cared for and the disapproving people that judge us before they walk in our shoes will never know true strength love and determination to succeed in life, that's the only advice i can give, take each day as it comes and know that you are a great mum and lovely person and thats all that counts
I take my hat off to single parents as they have a bloody hard job and deserve more credit than they get. I spend 9 days of a fortnight by myself whilst my husband works away so I have a tiny insight into what it must be like. Don't worry about what other people think, their opinions are not worth anything!

I was once told that when you have a child you will know what true love is. Blessed are you, as you will know this twice over!! smile I have a gorgeous 15month old boy and wouldn't change it for anything! No doubt it is hard but everyday it is so worth it! Your attitude is wonderfully positive and your children will be proud to have you as their mother!!
Sign in to follow this topic