Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. SIDS Recommendations - your advice needed (please)

SIDS Recommendations - your advice needed (please) Lock Rss

I was watching TV this morning and a SIDS representative mentioned that one of the recommendations for safe sleeping was having bubs sleep on a separate surface (cot or bassinette) but next to the parent for the first 6 to 12 months.

I was curious how many people keep their bub in their room for 6 or more months, and what your experience was like (pro's and cons).

I'm getting close to moving my DS from his bassinette into his cot and originally planned to put him into his room, but feeling rather stressed about it. I'm thinking it would be easier to BF with him in my room, but thought it may set up some bad habits (exacerbate separation anxiety etc).

Thanks in advance for your replies - all advice appreciated.

: )

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

I'm a mum to twin girls who are 14 weeks old and i've had them sleeping in their own cots since they were 3 weeks old.We originally had them sleeping in our room in a porticot (a large one)simply because their room is dowm the other end of the house. We had a sleep co-ordinator come to see us when they were 2 weeks old & she said the best thing was to put them in their own cots,they would be safer in there than the porticot,wish we were told this prior to buying the thing because we hardly use it now.We were originally told this would be the best option as we could have them in our room.

I wanted to keep them with us so it would be easier to attend to them and to keep an eye on them.She also mentioned that it would be better for them in their own room so that they can establish that's where they go to sleep and not in our room and help eliminate seperation anxiety.The earlier the better she told us.I now sleep in the back spare room that's closer to their room.Don't know wether i'm the one that's going thru seperation anxiety!
It took a while for them to like their cots(only just started to take their naps in them!)but i think it was the better option for us.I think it would have been different if we only had the one to start off with,but we are blessed with our little munchkins.good luck with your little one.

Hi,

When we had DS1 he was in his own room, in his cot from 6 weeks because he was so noisy that no one was sleeping. His room was next door to ours and we had a chair in there so I could feed him if he woke in the night. He still suffered from separation anxiety, like all bubs will, but is a great sleeper. Not sure it has to do with that, but more to do with him as a person.

DS2 was in with us from birth to 6.5 months. He was in our bed for the first 9 weeks, then in either his cot or carry cot depending on his mood and sleeping habits at the time. He came back into bed with us during his 16 week growth spurt and I fed him lying down (which saved everyones sanity bc it was pretty much non-stop). We moved house when he was 6.5 months and df insisted he had to go in his own room. This was great for about the first 6 weeks, he even slept through the night for the first time at 7 months. That only lasted 3 weeks and now one of us is constantly up and down to him . It's pretty cold at night so it's no fun, and unlike last time there is no chair for feeding so I get him up, fetch him into bed, feed him and then pop him back in his cot. So it was certainly "easier" having him in our room from a feeding perspective, and I think the jury is still out on the sleep front. He's a tummy sleeper too, has been since birth, and that was never a consideration when "deciding" whether to move him into his own room or not.

So just do what feels right for you, if you want to keep him in with you and there is room for his cot, then do that...if you want to put him in his cot in his own room do that too. Maybe try and start with him in with you so he's not getting used to two changes at once, and then once he'll sleep in the cot move him into his own room. Entirely up to you of course, but just a thought. smile]

Christina

Hi Kazi,
My DS was in our room in a bassinet for the first 11 weeks and then went into a cot in his own room. Personally, I don't think I would have liked for him to be sleeping in our own room now at almost 10 months as he can be a noisy sleeper and I would be awake constantly checking on him. I have a friend who still has her 9 month old DD in her room and she has to pretend to go to sleep with her when she wants a nap so she'll go to sleep but to each their own.
Don't stress too much, you can keep him in your room for as long or as little as you like. I started by putting my DS into his cot for his day naps and when he adjusted to this we moved him into his cot for night as well.

hi
i havent read the other replies so sorry if i repeat what someone has already said.

i had my DD in my room from birth until she was 6 months old. i really enjoyed having her in my room so that i could see that she was okay and because it made breast feeding really easy as i just sat in bed with her.

We only just moved her into her own room about 2 weeks ago because we moved house and her cot will not fit in our new bedroom.
Also, my DH snores and we think that it may have been contributing to her waking up in the night - he gets pretty loud!

its important to do whatever you feel comfortable with. there is no rules about what you must or must not do (within reason LOL) so if you are too anxious to have bubs in their own room, put them in yours! if you want them in bed with you, put them in bed with you. the choice is yours and hey, you can always change things if it doesn't work for you and your family!
In the uk it is recommended that babies sleep in the parents room for the first year.

My dd is 14 months and sleeps in our room. (cosleep in bed) but originally she alternated between a bassinet and our bed (until she was 7 months)

It is really unnatural for babies to sleep in their own room in a cot. Our society is in the minority when it comes to this.
We try and make babies independant way to early and we have consequences.

Breastfeeding is absolutely easier if bubs is next to you!!
I have not had 1 night where bubs has been up crying. When she was teething I had a 1/2 hour.

Babies do not need to be taught from birth where they are going to be sleeping in the future. Eventually dd will have her own bed, that doesn't mean I am going to put her in it from birth so she is used to it.....they go through stages and when they are little it is safer for them to sleep within the touch of a parent.

In cultures where cosleeping is normal - SIDS is nonexistant. They don't even have a name for it as it is so rare.

Posted by: OC1246

In cultures where cosleeping is normal - SIDS is nonexistant. They don't even have a name for it as it is so rare.

I have been reading a book by Dr Sears, he's an American physician, but really into attached parenting and he basically says the same thing. I figured with the co-sleeping and the bf our SIDS risk was greatly reduced, even if he is a tummy sleeper. LOL The reasoning behind it is that you start to synchronize your sleep patterns and would know if something wasn't right, vs them being on their own. He has some interesting thoughts about SIDS actually. Just thought I'd agree with ya. smile]

Christina

I am blown away by the excellent responses, thank you all so much - I can't express how appreciative I am.

There is certainly a lot to think about.

Its really hit home how things can change between having my DD 3 years ago and now my DS.

You guys rock !!!

: )

Ive had bot my girls (now 4.5 and 2) in our room for at least the first 6 mths. It makes for easier BF and more sleep for everyone! I have no problems with them sleeping in their own rooms when we moved them. DD2 had major sleep issues, but they were unrelated to where she slept wink

Mumma to DD1 Jan 04 and DD2 Mar 06

I never had either of my kids in my room at all. They both went straight into the nursery, in a cradle first and then a cot when they outgrew that. It was a personal choice because I would hear every little groan, grunt, moan and fart in their sleep which would wake me when I didn't need to be awake. I had a monitor in the nursery so that I only heard and woke up with the noises that I needed to hear. Almost everyone else I know has had their bubs in their rooms though, personal choice I think.

I have had all of my babies in my room. But in their own bed, with the odd night here and there in our bed.
DS 1 & 2 were in with us until 8 months, then into the room right next to ours.
DD1 was in with us until 15 months then into the room next to us. Would have been a bit sooner but her room was being used for a store room.
And DD2 is in with us now.
DP's family don't have babies in their rooms with them and he wasn't keen on the idea. But loves it now. And can see the benefits. He has a son from his first marriage that was in a seperate room from birth so can compare both ways.

Michelle- 3 boys-17,13 & 9 -2 girls-3 & 1

For those who had babies in their rooms, when did you know it was time to put them into their own room?

Sign in to follow this topic