Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Should I be worried? Lock Rss

My little girl who is now 8 weeks old constantly appears to have trouble passing wind. It prevents her from settling and wakes her up. (she regularly sleeps for only 40 mins at a time during the day) Today we visited the paediatrician who "thinks" she may have reflux and has been started on "Losec". For the past two weeks we have been using Mylanta when things are really bad (at the Dr's recommendation) which helped a bit. There are very few happy wake times and although she seems to be getting enough milk (bf) she often squirms and pulls off of the breast during feeding and without fail spills after each feed. To add to all of this, in the last fortnight she has only put on 160gms, less than half the recommended weight gain. We have been told to try the losec for a fortnight but I am worried that her growth is being stunted(detrimental) and the lack of sleep cant be doing her any good either. (not to mention what it's doing to me) Has anybody else been in the same boat????
Mum to Kate (8wks) and Amy (4yrs)

Karen, SA, baby Kate 24/08/2005

Oh Karen, I'm sorry things are so rough for you right now sad You're stronger than you think, and are doing all the right things - I want to encourage you to trust yourself. It does sound like there could be reflux at play, only because you mention Kate spits up each feed. Hopefully the losec will help. A couple of other suggestions mainly to do with positioning - elevating bubs head can help I've heard. Obviously don't use a pillow (sids risk) but stand the head end of the cot on some phone books, so the cot is on a tilt. Also post feed don't lay her flat for 15 mins or so, so either hold her up, or if you need your hands try the bouncer? (without bouncing it obviously - just they're not completely flat is what i'm thinking) the other thought I had was putting her in the sling and walking with her - may help her sleep as well as being upright? If it is "just wind" (which is horrid in and of itself) have you considered Infacol drops or gripe water from the pharmacy? Both of these can help, and maybe will give you some indication if it's wind or reflux? Kids don't come with a manual, so it's trial, error and elimination...keep persevering, you're doing really well smile I wish you all peace, rest and relief soon. smile

mady, single mum2muffin, 16/08/05 Syd,Ryde,NSW

As you mentioned that bub is a bf bub they actually do have periods where they don't put on much weight and periods where they do.

We had the same issue and people were cranky at me for not putting my bub on formula (I flat out refused) though if you are really still concerned contact Aust Breast Feeding Assoc or your doc as they are the experts.

Amanda and Oscar (22 Feb 05)

Sign in to follow this topic