Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Feeding your Newborn
  5. Breastmilk or Formula for night feeds

Breastmilk or Formula for night feeds Rss

I have been breastfeeding my daughter for 4wks now and she usually only sleeps for around 2-3 hours before wanting another feed. Twice now I have used formula and she slept for 6 1/2 hours.

Would love a little advice I have two questions.
1. Could my milk be too weak for her?
2. Should I give her formula of a night from now on?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi Jodi,

This is really only a decision you can make.

Can you express over the day, and then give her a bottle in the evening, that may help. There is probably nothing wrong with your milk, it is just harder work for bubs to get, compared to bottles.

There is no reason why you couldn't start giving your daughter a bottle of formular in the evening, especially if that is what is working well. Also gives your partner the option of feeding too,

Goodluck with your decision,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

I would love some advice on this too. I express at the end of each feed and give that to bennett at night in a bottle it seems to settle him better, but after waking up every two hours for a feed I'm wondering whether to try formula at night too.

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

Hi again,

Please believe me that i am not a breast feeding Nazi! I found that with both of my two, that formular made no difference for the over nights. I regretted both times i gave up breastfeeding as the formular made no difference.

Best of luck and remember always do what's best for you and your bub,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi Jodi & Stephanie

I used to give my son a top up of formula (60mls) sometimes during those first few weeks as he was feeding every 1.5 hours. Usually he wouldn't even drink the full amount. For my son it didn't really make any difference to his sleep, it just gave me a bit of breathing space. After he was about 6 weeks old I stopped giving him formula as my milk seemed to sort itself out. He started sleeping through the night (7pm - 5 or 6am) at 9 weeks old on just breastmilk. It's a decision only you can make, but be aware it may not make any difference as some formula fed babies still wake through the night.

Jodi, I'm sure there's nothing wrong with your milk - people used to say that to me all the time (mind you most of them had never breastfed!). The nurses at our local clinic were really supportive and assured me my milk was fine, they even supported me using formula to get through those rough first weeks - which I've heard a lot of nurses don't advocate. If it wasn't for using formula I probably would have given up breastfeeding, but I only used it as a temporary solution. When they are newborn their stomachs are really small that's why they feed so frequently, also frequent feeding helps to keep up your milk supply.

Just do what you feel is right for you and your babies. I would suggest talking to your child health nurse or the breastfeeding association. All the best with whatever decision you make.

Hope this helps
Jasmine
Hi, From birth my milk was not strong enogh so I breastfed and formula bottle fed. This worked well for my baby. I figured this out when my baby would cry every hour after only given the breast. The formula was heavier. A suggestion for you is to breast feed and top up with the formula. The amount of formula drunk will depend on how much of your breast milk is taken.. Its all trial and error. See how you go!
Hi again Jodi

I just re-read my post and Tepe's second post and I'm not a breastfeeding Nazi either smile . I just know how hard those first few weeks are, and how my self confidence took a dive every time someone told me my milk was no good. If it wasn't for the support from the nurses at the clinic and my husband I don't think I would have been able to keep breastfeeding. I wish I'd had more people supporting me rather than trying to make me feel like I was doing something wrong. Anyhow best wishes for whatever you decide to do.

Jasmine
Just one thing to be aware of if you supplement feed with formula, it can affect your breastmilk supply.
I breastfed my son from the word go, it did take a while for him to start sleeping through (but from what the rest of my plunket group said, that happened no matter what they were fed on). I think he was sleeping 5 hours by about 10 weeks (hard to remember that far back, lol).
The other thing is a bottle is much easier to get the milk out of, so can make them lazy when put on the breast, they expect the food to arrive without much effort on their part.

Best of luck whatever you decide

Rachelle, NZ, son George 10.12.02, Ian 15.06.04

Sign in to follow this topic