Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Feeding Frequency Rss

Hi

My bub is 12 days old. For the first week and a bit he was feeding every 3-4 hrs which I thought was too good to be true. The last three or four days he is going through periods a couple of times a day of wanting to be fed every hour so it can feel as though he is on the breast for a whole arvo or morning. It is when he does it during the night that is really tiring. During these times he is still having a good feed of about 15-20mins per breast.

Is it okay to do this? The midwives have said feed on demand but others have said to be careful he is not just using the breast as a comfort during these times. I think he is too little to be trying to regulate feeds, and I couldn't anyway cause if he is hungry he is hungry and I have to feed him.

Any advice, ideas would be greatly appreciated as this is my first so still on a huge learning curve ...

Jo

Ryan (2) & Jayden (18mths)

hi jo, my baby is 6 weeks old and had the same problem. all my friends were telling me the same thing that he was just compfort feeding but what else can you do when hes just screaming and screaming. i ended up going and seeing a lactation consoltant and i found out that he was not sucking properly. to me he was doing great i was not sore in anyway so i assummed we were doing a great job.maybe its a idea to go see one at you local hospital just to make sure as my baby was loosing weight (not a great deal ) but enough. hes now doing much better. you might also have a supply problem. you might not have enough for him.there are pills you can take to fix that as well.. i hope i have been helpfull and hang in there your doing a great job as lots would give up..if you would like to chat some more my email is tamaradiener@hotmail.com

tamara

Hi Jo

My son was pretty much the same. He would feed for about 40 mins then would be hungry again 20-30 mins later. The lactation consultant and our child health nurse both told me it was totally normal for breastfed babies to feed like this in the first few weeks. They told me it takes about 6-8 weeks for you and your baby to get breastfeeding 'down pat', which was true in my case. I know how exhausting it can be - particularly in the middle of the night. After those first few weeks he settled down and was feeding about every 3 hours and he started sleeping through the night from 9 weeks old. Every now and then he'd start feeding frequently again for a couple of days at a time, the nurse told me it was probably due to a growth spurt and he was trying to increase my supply. I hope this has helped, maybe try contacting the breastfeeding association or your child health nurse.

All the best
Jasmine
By now you'll be noticing a theme here - BOYS, STARVING BOYS!! My three boys were much hungrier and more desperate than my daughter. Yes, this is my experience and a generalisation, I'm sure there are starving girls out there too. Remember that the more baby drinks, the better your supply. Many people don't realise that formula fed babies are 'artificially' fed and formula is digested slower than breastmilk - so usually there will be longer between feeds. The breastfed baby digests the milk very quickly and is hungry again sooner. I know it feels like you are constantly feeding, and it hurts and is tiring, but my baby is now three months old (my fourth) and it is all smooth sailing now. Someone said it takes about six-eight weeks to really get the hang of it. I would even say that it takes three months to really get in the groove. Most people give up at that six week mark or so, and it is understandable. But God, in his wisdom, gives all Mums a gift at around that six week mark. I don't think it's any coincidence that just when you are ready to get your breasts surgically removed because they hurt so much - you're baby has those first real smiles. Aaaah...now that's worth the wait.
P.S. For all bottle feeding Mums, I fed my first by bottle so I am in NO way against bottle feeding. I know the difficulties of feeding and support all women's right to chose the best way for them. But, I am so much happier breast feeding for all sorts of reasons. Perservere and it will all seem like the blink of an eye in a few weeks. Congratulations Jo!!!

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

Thanks for all your replies!

I rang the Breastfeeding Association on Monday, convinced my poor boy must be starving the amount he was feeding. They told me it is normal for them to do this when having a growth spurt and like a few have said it is bubs way of increasing my supply.

Still concerned I went to a child health clinic on Wednesday (after nearly a week of this frequent feeding) and found out Ryan had put on 500g in 2 weeks and 3 days. The sister said he is doing really well because normally they are happy if bubs have maintained their birth weight at 2 weeks. All his measurements had increased quite significantly too so obviously my little boy was just having a bit of an early growth spurt I think.

Good news too. The last two days he has settled with his feeding and is going 3hrs between feeds like clockwork ... Hallelujah! The sister did warn me too that it is likely he will go through the same thing again between 6-8 weeks but she was really encouraging and reassured me that Ryan is doing great and that I needn't worry that I am starving him or anything.

Thanks once again for taking the time to share your stories,
Jo

Hi Jo79,

It sounds to me like everything is normal with your breastfeeding. My little William is 13 days old today and he feeds about every 3-4 hours, but there are times when he demands to be fed more frequently (mostly at night). I can tell when William is just looking for a "comfort suck" when he is tired and I just pop the dummy in until he goes to sleep. I then take the dummy out so that it doesn't fall out and wake him up (a little tip if you do use a dummy). The best way to tell if feeding is going well is to weigh your baby. If he is gaining weight and seems settled and content after a feed then chances are you have nothing to worry about. You would soon know if your little boy was starving... he'd be very unsettled and loosing weight too.

Hope things are going well for you and Ryan. My little William is a dream baby.

Michelle
Hi Michelle

So glad everything is good with William and you are enjoying him so much.

Ryan is going really well. In fact he is going through another growth spurt again. Thankfully when he wants to feed every 1.5-2.5 hours it is during the day and he gives me his longer breaks between feeds at night. In fact he has started going 6 hours between his 7pm and next feed which is a nice stint of sleep for the both of us.

At 4 weeks he weighed 9lb 9oz (7lb 2oz at birth) so the health sister said he has been putting his extra feeding to good use cause he is thriving.

Give William and Maddy a big hug from me and hope things keep cruising for you.

Jo

HI guys, I too am having the same problem.

I am feeding on demand.
Mary-Jane will be 3 weeks old on Monday.

Since she had her first growth spurt at 1 week old she had feed every 1-2 hours both day and night. Most of the time she has both sides.

She is def getting enough milk as she has not lost any weight since she was born, and she has gained each time she has been weighed.

She sometimes spills a bit after her feeds.

My midwife also said its normal and the spilling is just becase she is full.

I too would be keen to hear any advice and when others have changed from feeding on demand to on schedule.

mum2 AJ 05, Mary-Jane 04, Rachael 99 & Jonothan 94

Hi chrissyd

I haven't put Ryan into a routine but he has rather found one for himself ... so there is light at the end of the feeding tunnel. smile He is now on 6 feeds a day going three hours between feeds for his four feeds during the day and going 8 hrs then four hours between his last feed of the day and first morning feed.

Can't wait till he starts sleeping through but gotta admit I am pretty contented with how he is going now cause I am getting between 8 and 10 hrs sleep a night myself ...

so hang in there. Ryan kept going through weekly growth spurts till he was about 6 weeks old but I found the constant feeding did stop on its on

Good Luck
Jo

Hi Jo and Chrissy,

My little William is 6 weeks old and is waking every 3 hours during the night for a feed!!! I am a very tired mummy. He is so good during the day going for 4 or more hours between feeds! I'm hoping he will sort himself out soon as it is really starting to wear me down.

Jo, I'd love 8 to 10 hours sleep a night! Concider yourself very lucky... picture this: A very happy mummy, but her bags under her eyes indicate she is about to go on a round the world trip!!!

I'm hopin ght e constant feeding will soon stop on it's own too.

Take care
Michelle =gasp YAWN!!!
Hi Michelle,

My Kayla is 6weeks old and has really only just started to sleep longer through the night. She now sleeps 6hours, has a feed and then another 4-5 before she wakes up at around 7-8 in the morning. A week ago tho she was all over the place and i know what you mean about being tired......

Hope William starts sleeping longer soon.

Brooke

Emily 08/02, Kayla 07/04 & Jeremy 02/08

Sign in to follow this topic