Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Burping newborn Lock Rss

Hi all, just wanted to know when bub burps do we offer more milk to them?
And what about if bub has hiccups after a burp, what does that mean?
Should we offer more milk to stop the hiccups?

http://gustopaleo.com/

hello there
my bubs is ten months old and Not to worry about the hicups too much they will settle as bubs gets older!
My baby never seemed to know when enough milk was enough so is we left it up to her she would drink way too much and spew everywhere!
each bub is different
the hospital should give you a chart showing how much milk to give or check the side of the formula bottle or if you breast feeding then thats a bit different but yer sorry not much help on this one maybe some other mums might know!
Thanks yes I'm breastfeeding. And baby was born at 37 weeks. She is two weeks old now smile I just don't know.

http://gustopaleo.com/

Hi, I personally found holding/rocking and distracting bubs wich will get her to relax helped stopped the hiccups (whatever you do to sooth her), sometimes feeding worked but you do have to listen to them and watch- if the hiccups are squielchy and their uncomfortable I'd wait a wee while before feeding like winterdaisy said and I never fed her just to get rid of the hiccups. The hiccups can either be that they still need burping or just them sorting themselves out wich isnt something to worry about. After burping with a breast fed baby you can always offer more, quite often burping will then allow them to drink more especailly if they have taken in alot of air in the first round (you'll notice them pull off and get frustrated when they have done this) but you'll be able to tell soon when shes had enough (pursing her lips when you touch them etc) its easier to tell when their older. Assuming your baby is tiny because she was so early and is still very new all you can do is put it all on offer, watch and learn as she lets you know what she's like, hope this helps and good luck smile
Aquabeda wrote:
Hi all, just wanted to know when bub burps do we offer more milk to them? And what about if bub has hiccups after a burp, what does that mean? Should we offer more milk to stop the hiccups?

With DD I would feed until she removed herself from my breast or the bottle, burp her until her stomach wasn't making that glugging sound (or if I thought she'd burped enough) then offer my other breast or some more bottle until she took herself off and burp again. Depending on how long/how much she had drunk I would do this a few times until she was either refusing the breast/bottle or seemed satisfied.

Hiccoughs are ususally the diaphragm (muscle which sit under your lungs/rib cage) spasaming. It's quite normal for babies and adults to get them and babies are more prone because their bodies are still so young. You may have felt bub hiccough whilst in your tummy. Sometimes the diahragm will spasm if air has been taken in whilst drinking to aid digestion/burping. If your bub gets them it's ok to burp and then offer more milk. Babies will often fall asleep and stay asleep through hiccoughs. My dd was very prone to them and would often hiccough in her sleep.

If you have trouble getting a burp out you can try putting a small amount of pressure on bubs tummy by laying him/her on your lap.

good luck

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

~NoDdY~ wrote:
Aquabeda wrote:
Hi all, just wanted to know when bub burps do we offer more milk to them? And what about if bub has hiccups after a burp, what does that mean? Should we offer more milk to stop the hiccups?

With DD I would feed until she removed herself from my breast or the bottle, burp her until her stomach wasn't making that glugging sound (or if I thought she'd burped enough) then offer my other breast or some more bottle until she took herself off and burp again. Depending on how long/how much she had drunk I would do this a few times until she was either refusing the breast/bottle or seemed satisfied.

good luck

+1 i did exactly this aswell.
sometimes i could hear a burp in there aswell so i would de-latch and burp ( otherwise he would vomit everywhere) and then go again until he stopped himself. You will get to learn how much bubs would 'normally' have and know what they can handle. Even now - 7 months later, lil mr can be a little piggy and drink waaaay too much so i havr to stop him lol.
And.. sometimes a lil bit of milk can stop hiccups.. although it doesnt seem so faze the babies too much smile
Sign in to follow this topic