Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Babies in the car Rss

Quick question with regards to laws and such.

I know you can't leave your baby in the car when you go shopping etc etc but what is the rule/law regarding paying for petrol etc - you don't have to get bubs out of the car seat for that do you?

Love steph

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

This post has been edited by the moderator.
Just a month or two ago there was a story on the news of a mother in WA who left her baby in the car while she went in to pay for petrol and her car was stolen with the baby in it. Thankfully the car and baby were found a short time later, and it all turned out OK. I know it takes longer but it is well worth it, not just the theft aspect but in hot weather it doesn't take long for the car to heat up. I've had a few dirty looks when I get my son out of the car when I go to pay for petrol, but that's nothing to how bad you would feel if something did happen.

Jasmine
thanks guys thats great advice smile

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

hey steph
have you had your baby yet:) regarding the question you asked, i never really gave the scenario much thought, until i found myself in that situation. it does take an extra couple of minutes, but the safest option is definitely to take bub out of the car when you apy for your petrol!! Good luck with the labour if your're still waiting!

eìí? well ... it started with a kiss eìí?-3-064

I also never gave this much thought until I had my baby, it's the little things you don't realise!! I usually try and fill up when I have someone else with me, but didn't the other day and took my 9 week baby out with me, and a arrogant guy abused me for taking so long!! ..as in going to the trouble of caring for my baby and not leaving him in the car even for 2 minutes in 35degree heat!
I'm unfamiliar with the law in this circumstance, however, I have thought of two ways around the hassle of lugging a baby out of the car (especially if he/she is sleeping), I go to a self service petrol station whenever I visit my mum who lives in Georges Hall, Sydney (it's BP next to Bankstown airport) which isn't close to my home but it encourages me to get out of the house and visit mum OR I give my husband, relative or friend the keys to fuel up (make sure you add these people to your car insurance if your excess is lower by adding named drivers)

If anyone knows of another self service servo, please add to this post.

Daniella, Sydney, 15 month old

sorry for not understanding, but what is meant by a self service servo exactly?

eìí? well ... it started with a kiss eìí?-3-064

Hello, In QLD at BP service station they have the pay at the pump. You just swip your ATM card before you start to fill then wait for the approval and fill away. I just put all the windows down and speak to my son while I am outside the window so he knows where I am. That way he doesnt have to leave his seat. It is much easier and faster then having to drag your baby in and out of the car.
hey all,
i had never throught about it before, i used to lock my car run in and pay ( knowing no one else was in paying for their petrol) but knowing that now, and not thinking much about it i know what im going to do in the future,,,

karen,NSW, mummy to Caitlin Born 14 weeks early

i have taken the bub out of the car but usually leave him in it while i pay i would not ever leave the keys in in the ignition as some do

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Sign in to follow this topic