Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Newborn in summer Rss

I know this will sound stupid but i dont know who to ask. Im expecting baby number 2 in Dec. What do they need to be dressed in that is suitable for WA summer. My first was 7 months in summer which was easy but i know newborns are different, I know you can get short sleeve/ leg bodysuits but do they still need socks, hat as they cant regulate their temp. We have refridgerated Air Con in our home and my hubby likes it freezing but we dont have it on at night, just a fan in bedroom. Can any one offer any tips on newborn clothing and what they need in 30+ degrees. Thank you!

Dawn,WA ,Chloe 3.5, Danielle born 17th dec 2004

My first was born in December, and my second in January. With both of them, I found that in the really hot weather (30+), the trouble was keeping them cool, definitely no hats/socks - in a nappy, singlet and light muslin wrap they would still sometimes have wet backs in their cots from sweating in the heat. I was told that even in the hottest weather always put them in a singlet, even if they have nothing else apart from the nappy, as it helps absorb any moisture if they do sweat, and thus keeps them cooler.

mum to 2 girls

Thank you for that information, i wouldnt have realised about the singlet. Can i ask when you took your newborns out and about with you in the heat which i know is unavoidable sometimes, Even with the sun shade over the pram did you still cover their legs, arms to protect from sun with light clothing or is it best to keep them in as little as possible. I appreciate your help, my husband thinks im stupid for asking these questions but at 16 weeks pregnant I just cant seem to think properly! Cheers

Dawn,WA ,Chloe 3.5, Danielle born 17th dec 2004

hi there,
i tried to keep the outings in the early mornings or late in the afternoon.
would go and start the car for the aircon a few minutes before we got in.
i didnt cover my bubs legs in the pram (did use a "shade-a-bub", but if you wanted to i would just use a really light cotten bunny rug.
i found it really relaxful to put the baby pool up fill it in the mornings, cover it for the day and then when the shade came over the yard me and bubs would go out and have a lovely warm 'swim' in the evening.

catherine mum to tasmin and Liam

Hi,

My daughter was born in December in Queensland, yes... lovely and hot here! For the most part as a new born at home she wore a nappy and singlet or cotton t-shirt. I was told that it is important to have something light against the skin to absorb sweat and avoid bub getting a chill. Whenever we went out I usually put a short sleeve cotton body suit on and kept a few light long sleeve things in the nappy bag for just incase. It is unlikely you will need very many socks or hats (especially not hats - as heat escapes from the head).

I have the opposite problem now... I am about to give birth to my second baby in the middle of winter and am wondering if I have enough clothes to keep baby warm...

Goodluck with preparing for baby numbre 2, hope it all goes well for you.

Michelle.
Sign in to follow this topic