Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Caring for your Newborn
  5. When to wash babys hair with shampoo?

When to wash babys hair with shampoo? Lock Rss

My DS is 4 weeks old & is getting slight cradle cap so I was wondering when I can actually wash his hair with shampoo? Thanks in advance for any replies grin
Shampoo will only make the cradle cap worse. Just continue to wash with water and then rub a little oil on babes head after bath. This will soften the cc.

Shampoo will only make the cradle cap worse. Just continue to wash with water and then rub a little oil on babes head after bath. This will soften the cc.

I agree. DS1 had it really bad, and in the end we just let him grow out of it - he was about one when it started to go away. DS2 also has it. We've put some oil on it (almond I think) a few times and left it overnight then in his bath the next day we run his brush through it to try and loosen it. If his body wants it there, then so be it!

I used to rub baby oil in DD's scalp before a bath and let it sit for 5 min or so and then wash it out with a tiny bit of shampoo. She didn't have much hair though. But it seemed to clear it up. Have heard that the QV wash is really good for cradle cap but I never used it.

I have been rubbing some baby oil on it & then brushing some flakes out with his baby brush so yay I'm onto something there lol. I also have the QV wash but wasnt sure if it would dry it out more... trial & error right? Thanks for ur reply grin
Thanks so much for all your replies I think I will just continue with the oil & washing it off with just normal water & see how we go smile

I have been rubbing some baby oil on it & then brushing some flakes out with his baby brush so yay I'm onto something there lol. I also have the QV wash but wasnt sure if it would dry it out more... trial & error right? Thanks for ur reply grin

Eekk! Are you talking about Johnsons Baby oil or similar? Check the ingredients, most "baby" oils are mineral oil based - these are NOT GOOD!! Stick with olive oil, grapeseed oil, apricot kernel oil, jojoba oil etc

Eekk! Are you talking about Johnsons Baby oil or similar? Check the ingredients, most "baby" oils are mineral oil based - these are NOT GOOD!! Stick with olive oil, grapeseed oil, apricot kernel oil, jojoba oil etc

Oh dear yep it is johnsons baby oil & I won't be using that anymore thank god I only started using it last night :/ thanks again smile
Olive oil is the best thing. Rub into hair before bed and wash out in the morning. brush head with a soft baby brush.
I agree- DON'T use baby oil!!
I used sorbolene, worked really well smile

I used sorbolene, worked really well smile

Unfortunately sorbolene also has a mineral oil base, not to mention parabens and other possible irritating chemicals.

Unfortunately sorbolene also has a mineral oil base, not to mention parabens and other possible irritating chemicals.

Well it didn't irritate my son's skin. In fact it was the only thing which wouldn't give him eczema. Only in the last few weeks we've started using eco store soap and shampoo and they seem to be ok.
I've been working as a nurse for over 12 years and I'm yet to see someone have a reaction to sorbolene.

Well it didn't irritate my son's skin. In fact it was the only thing which wouldn't give him eczema. Only in the last few weeks we've started using eco store soap and shampoo and they seem to be ok.
I've been working as a nurse for over 12 years and I'm yet to see someone have a reaction to sorbolene.

Sorbelone seems to do enough to temporarily soothe (some brands of it contain vit E or other oils which may be the only things doing any good), but due to the irritants and petrochemical ingredients it never actually seems to fix the problem yk?.
I've known people that swear by it because it stops their itching, flaking or whatever, but years later they're still using it because the original problem still exists.
Sign in to follow this topic