Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

First baby Rss

What do I need for my first child?
Can i use hand me downs or second hands? ( I lost my job shockly after I told him I was pregnant, But he says he was "shortness of work")
Where are good places to buy clothes and blankets that arent to expensive?

Thanks

Can i use hand me downs or second hands? ( I lost my job shockly after I told him I was pregnant, But he says he was "shortness of work")

Thanks

of course you can use 2nd hand things, maybe invest in a new mattress though if you use a 2nd hand cot.Try ebay, garage sales even the op shops like salvation army st vinnies etc

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

It's not recommended to use 2nd hand car seats unless you know the full history as they could have been in an accidents and not be safe anymore. Big W is good for baby stuff.
It is good to get new stuff but i have found secondhand stuff is just as good as long as they are in good condition. Dont go overboard with too many clothes as they grow so quick and are in the smaller stuff for only a few months at the most. Secondhand car seat only if you know where it comes from, I wouldn't buy one from someone I didn't know. It all depends if you are planning on having more kids in the future as to what to buy I think. I have 3 children that all used the same cot and baby stuff but then sold it all. I then unexpectedly fell pregnant again and am now 36.5 weeks so as this will definately be my last I am only getting minimal stuff. I have purchased a portacot instead of a normal cot as they are alot cheaper. I bought a 3 wheeler pram at big w when they had there sale on for $150. A friend has given me some unisex baby clothes and that is all the clothes i have til after bub is born when I find out boy or girl, then I will go and get more. Target has alot of sales on baby clothes and stuff so just wait til you see stuff on sale and lay by
I also found it useful financially to stock up on lots of things while I was still working - nappies when on special (you can exchange for different sizes if you get too many of any size), toiletries such as make up, deodorant, shower gel, cleaning products, etc as these can be expensive when you aren't working, and also things like baby wipes as you'll always use heaps and heaps!

Plus don't go overboard on clothes as you'll probably get heaps for presents.
Not to sound greedy but have a baby shower! You will get heaps of stuff grin
Get a sister or close friend to throw you one and invite a fair few people and you wont believe the stuff you will get! smile
Go op shop shopping I still go to them for my 9 month old sun.I am forever picking up pumpkin patch clothes for 50 cents each.They grow out of everything so quick
where do you live NZ or Auz?
australia
Second hand is fine- I agree though on the car seats.

Try local trash and treasure markets- my weekly sunday market here in Adelaide always has great baby gear- eg. prams, port-a-cots etc for under $40.

If you are on facebook, try totshop. (just type it in the search box at the top of the page) It is like ebay, but no auction. Local people post baby/kids stuff they are selling and the price they want. You just PM them to say you want to buy it! The things are really cheap, and many people sell bulk lots of clothes/blankets toys etc for around $10-20.
You can also make a request if there is anything you are specifically looking for, and people reply saying "I have one for $X".

The main things you will need are a capsule (you can hire them), cot, pram or baby carrier (prams are handier when shopping!), some clothes and blankets, nappies and wipes. You can change bub on a towel or blanket on the bed, lounge or the floor. And you can bathe bub just in the normal bath, or hold them in the shower (our DS prefered the shower!) Cheap "coles" brand baby shampoo/baby wash works just as well as the expensive stuff, and you only need the tiniest amount for a newborn. If you breastfeed that is free!

Good luck with the hunting!

PS. What town are you in?
They have baby markets and stuff as well where everyone sells second hand stuff and its all still in really good condition........

Thanks

of course second hand stuff is greats saves you alot of money, where are u if your in perth i have some clothes and bits i could give u smile

Sign in to follow this topic