Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Baby Names
  5. To Hyphen - or not to hyphen

To Hyphen - or not to hyphen Rss

Hi all, I am keen to hear your opinion on names with hyphens.

My husbands mum passed away 28/04/04. Her name was Jane, but as we prefer to have longer first names we have decided to call our baby girl Maryjane.

But I dont know if we should make it hyphenated or not.

Mary-Jane or Maryjane. Which looks/sounds best.

We dont know anyone who has a hyphenated name so we dont know if their are any problems for a person who has a hypenated name, eg learning how to spell when young, etc

mum2 AJ 05, Mary-Jane 04, Rachael 99 & Jonothan 94

Hi Chrissy,

Just my personal opinion....I like Maryjane, myself.

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Mmmm. I think I like the hyphen. i think the name Anne-Marie is hyphenated. Maryjane to me looks like a new name creation which is great if you want uniqueness and something different. The Jane in Mary-Jane is in honour of your MIL. Whatever you decide you will know your reasoning behind the name choice but good luck in the choosing.
Personally I prefer the hyphen version too!

Take Care!
Jo

Ryan (2) & Jayden (18mths)

A friend of mine is called Marianne and we all spelt it originally as Mary Anne or Mary-Anne until her parents indicated the Mary part actually ended in an 'i'. Think this ties it together quite nicely.

Perhaps you could look at Marijane? Just a suggestion. If not, I prefer Mary-Jane with the hyphen.

Cheers! smile

Tarns

Hi Chrissy,
Sorry to hear about your MIL, but think its lovely that your going to name bub after her. I prefer the hyphenated version but as someone who has a hyphenated name I can tell you it is a bit tricky as you have to always be spelling your name. Also if you really want her to be called Mary-Jane all the time ensure that you and the family always do it otherwise people will just call her Mary and leave off the Jane bit. Good luck with your decision. Speak to you soon.
Lis : )
Hi Chrissy,

I like the hyphenated way. Let us know what you decide on.

Alicia.

Alicia and Zackari

me too

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

hi everyone- just letting you know, we went with the hyphenate version.

Mary-Jane Charlotte was born 7/8/04, almost 3 weeks late.

thanks for all your opinions

Congratulations on your little girl's arrival. I hope this is a lovely breath of fresh air for your husband's family after your loss. Your decision to name her after your MIL was such a lovely, selfless thing to do. I'm sure she'll be very blessed. My middle name is Jane, and I've never had any problems with it. It is a simple, pretty name. The hyphenated Mary-Jane is the perfect choice for her. All the very best.

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

Nyreek - just wanted to say, thanks so much for your lovely comments - made my day

congrats on your little girl.

it was your choice to hyphen and it looks good.

how big was she and all that?? let us know all the goss... natural labour? cesearian? let us know asap...

congrats again on Mary-Jane Charlotte

Narelle, Eilish 5th june 2002 TTC since dec 2002

Sign in to follow this topic