Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Blood Loss At Birth Rss

I was just wondering what is the normal range of blood loss at birth of baby. On my discharge sheet from my son I lost only 250ml (episiotomy vacume delivery) but with my daughter I lost 600 ml (2nd Degree tear that went everyway but towards the sphincter). No one ever mentioned anything to me about this.

Pregnant with my third I have been reading back over my notes and I never really noticed this before and wondered what is normal or average?

Hayley, NSW, Liam 07/02, Beth 09/04, Nate 03/06

Hi, I don't know what the average is but I lost 1 litre with my son and they considered that alot. It was 24 hrs before they decided that I could get away without a blood transfusion.
Hi

I lost just over 500ml of blood with my second birth and they told me it was borderline a concern. They said anything below 500ml is ok and normal.

Kristi

4 lovely munchkins DD 10/03, DD 03/05, DS 10/06 &

Hi Hales

500 mls apparently is normal v/delivery
1000 mls or 1 litre is normal for c/s

In my case I lost 2 & 1/2 litres about 5 minutes after a v/delivery. The blood just poured out & crashed onto the floor in this godful noise. This is about 1/2 or over 1/2 of the total volume of blood in a human. 1/3 sudden blood loss can be fatal. Anyhow, there was no reason for it although I suspect the fact that I was induced & had a vacuum delivery had something to do with it. Two nights later I was given a blood transfusion [2 units of blood]. It was an awful experience to go through. I couldn't move, even lift a finger for nearly 2 days.

Kerry, WA

i lost 800ml natural birth i got told 500ml was normal and i might have to have iron tablets cos i lost more then the "norm"

***haydens mum***

Sign in to follow this topic