Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Labour and Birth
  5. Antenatal Classes..to do or not to do..

Antenatal Classes..to do or not to do.. Rss

Hey,
I'm new here but am having a few worries about antenatal classes and if I should or should not take them.
I know that New Zealand women are more for it, as they are for breast feeding (I'm australian)
I'm 29Weeks pregnant and this is my first baby, I'm not breast feeding
And am just curious on if antenatal classes are completely necessary,

Thank You smile

I don't think they are completely necessary, we didn't learn much about delivery really, watched a few vids, discussed pain relief, c-sect vs natural etc, but it was wonderful to meet up with a group of women all having their first bub, and we are still in touch now 7 years later.

Our hospital offered post natal classes, once a week for 6 weeks, and they were brilliant. We were given a first aid course, a dentist came and spoke to us regarding dental care for babies, a phsio came and discussed exercises for babies, there was one day where a speaker from the ABA came though. I didn't BF DS1 but it didn't bother me since I got so much else out of the classes.

Perhaps enquire about post natal classes? Even if you get nothing from them, you will meet some new people and they could be a great support to you over the coming months with your new baby. I used to really look forward to catching up with my mum's group once a week.
smile

thank you very much grin

that sounds great!
will give that a try and see how it goes smile

Thank You

Hi,

We only went to 1 class with our 1st and thought i was a load of crap. We were told everything we already knew so i guess it depends on what u already know and how confident you are with little bubbas.

my sister had 3 kids b4 me so i learnt a lot from being around her. We never had any issues with DD.

I remember one girl in the class asked what we should dress the babies in coz it was december and really hot and if we should wrap them up. It was obviouse to me she had no idea.
Even my husband knew the answer to that. The mid wife explained to her what she should do and that u can ger muslim wraps so they dont get to hot, we had already brought a heap.

So yeah I guess it depends on how much you already know.

Maybe just go to one and see how u feel.

Cool smile

i've heard of them being a lot about what you already know, and me and my partner are both very knowledgeable on what to do etc, and if in doubt have just asked my mum as her pregnancy was identical to mine

Thank You for you honesty and advice smile

Well good to hear your knowledgeable, cause that will semi-answer my question in the worried about labour thread.
I have a different opinion on the classes. If you can do a day class it might be better than wasting your time over several thursday nights, etc.
I think it is good to do the classes cause at least you can talk to the mid-wife about any questions: they take you around the hospital/labour suite and explain what to do, where to go, etc. Detail your drug options and show you any things (tools/medical instruments - having a blank moment) that they might need to use during the labour if they need to intervene. If you haven't seen a labour vid you see that too.

But in saying that, every hospital could do classes a bit differently. Like in mine there was no talk of labour positions or breathing. Not much about baby care.

I thought it helped confirm things. Plus my hubby had no idea about the labour process but afterwards he was prepared to deliver our baby at home if it happened.
And as a matter of fact - he was a fantastic 'mid-wife' to me through the whole labour. The mid-wife actually had to say to him "ok, I'll take over now" at the end of my labour.

Hope that helps.

lol, just replied to the other thread,
I'll consider going to a day one, but will discuss with the midwife what it covers first as to if it will be worth it smile

I liked your story, it must have been so good having your partner ready to do that and being that prepared grin

It does help quite a bit as it gave me an insight as to what they generally do cover etc smile

Thank You grin

I did the ante-natal classes, more for DP than anything, but i found them very reassuring. Gives you more confidence i think

Posted by: meaghanemily
I did the ante-natal classes, more for DP than anything, but i found them very reassuring. Gives you more confidence i think

We did them for the same reason. Hubby has taken an interest but not as much as I would like (he doesn't like medical stuff...). In the early days he started reading one of the books I have but that didn't last long.

We ended up buying the "Being Dad" DVD's as it is done from a mans point of view and I think this has helped him get his head around a few things, rather than just sitting there waiting for me to pop...and I found them funny and helpful too.

Good Luck!

Emily Grace was born on the 5th of March and share

I agree mouse it can get really difficult to get the blokes interested coz its not happening to them on a physical level. So i think the classes help, and even if they dont show it they are generally shitting themselves bout the whole thing

I was only 16 when I was pregnant with my first so I didn't know much about the whole pregnancy, labour and birth.

I ended up going to 2 Sets [20 sessions] of my local Hospital Classes which where at like lunch time, 2 Sets [20 classes] of a Government Funded Young Parenting Class which was in the mornings and I went to one that was about 2 wholes days spread over two saturdays- So all up I went to about 42 Classes lol.

I loved the goverenment funded one, it was fantastic, it was more relaxed, it gave me confidence and it wasn't like a hospital where they just tell you what happens during labour. I believe that without their help, love and support I would of never had the strength to have my two amazing drug-free births which i loved.

I think if you haven't got good classes running near you then go in a different direction, like the interent, books DVD's. There is SO much information out there that suit any needs of a pregnant woman. You will be easily be able to find good books by noticing that multiple birthing sites selling it or reccomending it =)

As for parenting there isn't THAT much to know...only a few basic's...for me it was common sense so if you're a generally smart person then looking after your baby will be much better-If you're struggling you can just always use your lifelines [Mum, Maternity Ward, Huggies Forum, Child Health Nurse etc] =D

Good Luck

Hey again all smile

once again, really good advice and stories, I didn't know that you could find info about it online, but this has been both really insightful and helpful smile

As for looking after Jellybean when he/she arrives I'm quite prepared for that and able smile

My partner regularly reads a baby book we have on everything from contraception to toddlers smile so we're all covered there and he is willing to learn more grin

Thank You's grin

Sign in to follow this topic