Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

while in labour? Rss

hi just out of curiosity what sought of things happen in labour besides trying to push out a baby ofcourse =p. But what sought of things do the midwives and doctors do ? do they stand around asking questions or what exacally goes on?

Cassie W.A

hey when i was having kayla, they induced me so i had a doctor check if my waters had broken which it hadnt so she broke it, then a midwife hooked me up to the drip, then another midwife monitored me and bub. Then after that was all done they all left and just one midwife poped in every 20mins or so till i was having constent contractions then they were in every 10min and stayed for much longer at this time. When i told them i was ready to push they called the doctor and she examined me again to see how dilated i was, the midwife got all the medical things ready and the doctor found out i was ready and left the midwife to do her job. As soon as bubs head was crowned my partner had to call another midwife in to help the other one out
thats pretty much it
hope it helps

Kayla Elizabeth (10/1/06) Mummy''''s Angel

let me see...
I WAS 6 CENT. DIALATED WHEN WE GOT TO HOSP.
AFTER THEY MONITERED BUB WE WENT TO OUR ROOM. I HAD A SPA FOR A WHILE THEN I STARTED ON THE GAS..
THE MIDWIVES SORT OF COME IN AND OUT AND CHECK BUB'S HEARTBEAT BOUT EVERY 20 MINS.
WHEN I WENT INTO TRANSITION THERE WAS 3 MIDWIVES JUST WATCHING ME BUT I WAS TOO OUT OF IT ON GAS TO KNOW WHAT THEY WERE SAYING
WHEN I STARTED T O PUSH THERE WAS A STUDENT MIDWIVE THERE AS WELL AS 2 OTHERS .
I DELIVERED STANDING THEN SAT DOWN.
MY PARTNER HELD OUR DAUGHTER AND THEY PUT MY LEGS UP IN STIRRIPS.
A MALE DOCTER CAME IN TO STICH ME UP.
THEY GIVE YOU AN INJECTION IN YOUR PERENIUM AN PEOPLE DON'T TELL YOU BUT THEY STICK A PAIN KILLER TABLET UP YOUR BOTTOM(IT DOESN'T HURT)
ALSO I DIDN'T FEEL MYSELF TEAR AND WHEN YOUR PUSHING THE PAIN IS ACUALLY IN YOUR BUM.
ALL IN ALL ITS AMAZING,CAN'T WAIT TO DO IT AGAIN

Lillie....1 year old!!!

When you go into labour - however it starts for you - you'll ring the Maternity Unit (midwives) to tell them whats going on & they'll advise you whether or not to come in.

Once you come in to hospital you'll be seen by a Midwife who will palpate you to see what position the bub is lying in, time your contractions (how long between each contraction & how long they last for). They may do a VE (vaginal examination) to see how many cm's your dilated and note how far the bubs head is engaged down in your pelvis. And check the bubs heart rate with a FHR (fetal heart monitor). Also check or ask you about blood/fluid loss - if your waters have broken etc.

Once its established your in labour you'll either be moved into the 'delivery suite' or put in another 'pre-delivery' room (depending on what stage you are at). You'll be checked every so often by a Midwife & without you probably even knowing, they'll be filling out a Labour Chart, recording details of how your labours progressing such as; bubs heart rate, your contractions (are they mild to severe) & how often contractions are occuring, the dilation of the cervix, how far the babies head is down (called effacement) and note bubs position.
Midwives will do this all the way through & writing down the time 1st stage, 2nd stage etc of labour occur. Also writing 'progress notes' for your medical file.

Some midwives will sit with you on & off and just be there for you. But others will let you progress with your partners support. They'll always be around (just press the buzzer if need be) to give you ice to suck, a drink of water etc, pain relief if you request it (some will ask what pain relief you want, others will reccommend something - such as a bath or having gas etc, others will just wait till you ask - so is good for you to know whats available) etc. They'll be there offering you assistance & recommending different positions etc, depending on how they feel you are coping.

If there is something occuring that is of concern the Midwives may ring the Dr (Obstetrician) on call (if your a public patient - otherwise your Obstetrician will always be advised on your progress) to advise them on whats happening & what course of action they reccommend. Otherwise the Midwives will be the ones to deliver your bub.

When you get the urge to push (possible a feeling of needing to poo) ... & your nearly 10cm's dilated (or however it goes ... as all labours differ) but basically at this time the Midwife will open the delivery pack (instruments & sterile equipment for the birth of your bub) and be with you through the pushing stage. The Midwife will call another Midwife in when its time for bub to come out ... as the other Midwife will 'receive' the baby (their job is to give you the syntocinon injection, receive the baby, place the cord clamp on & check the baby over (the Apgar scoring) when bub is born. If any extra hands are needed this Midwife can call on the assistance of the Obstetrician or a Paediatrician or other Midwives ...

If you have had a tear & its needing stitches either a Midwife trained in perineal repair, an Obstetrician (or Registrar) will do them.

You'll usually be holding bubs (or support person) when this is done (if all is well with bubs). The Midwife will be around cleaning up afterwards, will assist you with getting bub on the breast (if you'd like) and when your ready will assist you with having a shower.

Then you'll be walked (or in a wheelchair) to your room and the Midwife will hand over the details of your birth to the Midwife looking after you on the Post-natal ward.

I know this reply is HUGE ~! ... but hope have answered your question.... i should've just written - 'Midwives will be there to do whatever you want them to do & will play whatever part in your labour that you want them to, they are there to make sure you are having the birth that you want and ensuring at the same time that its in the safest and best way for you & bub. Dr's are involved if something is of concern ie. assessing you if 2nd opinon needed, forceps or vaccuum or c/section, you or bub arent doing well'. .... in a nut shell !!!
heya
well wen i got to hospital they showed me to the delivery room.....a midwife put my bags down etc. helped me onto the bed....she then asked to chek how dilated i was...so she did an internal...i was 6cm's. then she chekd bubs heart beat n mine etc.
she wanted to break the second lot of waters....she did that...and then she wasn't sure if what she was feeling was the bub's head so she ordered ultrasound.....so then in came another few doctors...did ultrasound n showed bub was breech ! as i was having strong contractions and then was nearly 7cm's they were gettn worried.....as i needed to have a caesarean section but they needed to stop contractions. so alarm bells went off...their were 7 or 8 ppl in the room and needles going into my thigh to stop contractions, drips in my arm, monitor on belly for baby, heart monitor for me, etc etc...was very full on. .....but i dont think that is the standard labour story that happens....its usually very laid bak and they just come in n out to chek ya etc.

Danni, WA,

Sign in to follow this topic