Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Labour and Birth
  5. Modesty During and After giving Birth - May Contain Adult Themes!

Modesty During and After giving Birth - May Contain Adult Themes! Lock Rss

After giving birth to dd i had stitches and a nurse gave me some ice cubes wrapped in a cloth for the swelling. but i couldnt' keep them on for long because it was freezing, so i tried to get them off but they were stuck!! I had to buzz for the nurse and say 'i have 6 icecubes stuck to my .....'- she poured luke warm water(which felt like boiling water on frozen parts) over them to get them off!!!

and it HURT like hell to pee for about 10 days after giving birth. I found this worse than labour to be honest.

and the baby blues suck - but they only last 4 or so days. but be warned- they suck!!

and i thought getting my tongue stuck on ice is bad LOL
Oh dear where to start.
DD1
I was in pjs (short shorts and a single) and the pants came off as soon as I got there. I remember a male attending checking to see how dilated I was. I remember swearing and almost kicking the midwife in the head when she was doing the stitches. I also told DH that if he didn't move his fingers out of my face " I will flucking bite them off". My stiches hurt more than the actual birth and thank god it was a graze that she thought 'better have one' and not an actual tear.

DD2
It was a race between me and another chick up to the pre-birth suites to get checked. It was like we were in slow motion stopping every so often because of the contractions. Once on the bed I told DH to get my pants off. Didn't need them last time. Anyway a nurse came and checked me and ran of screaming and asking for help. Comes back in and tells me I'm giving birth NOW and informs me they are pushing me around to the birthing suites. They tried to cover me with a sheet which fell off halfway round so I'm half starks whizzing round the halls of the hossy! I was laying on my side told the midwife I was getting an urge to push, but my waters hadn't broken, 2 breathes and I rather calmly annouce "sh!t my waters just broke" another 2 breathes and it's getting serious. DH ended up with one leg on his shoulder getting a 'great' veiw of DD2 coming out. Had to stop halfway through because she had her cord on her neck so I was stuck with my leg on DH shoulder with his fingers stoppingthe cord from tightening while the nurse was getting clamps on it, meanwhile the door was WIDE open because they didn't realise how quick I was going to be! I had very minor grazing and were trying to decide if to give me stitches or not, I told them "if I don't NEED them I don't bloody want them!" so off they went got a OB to have a look and told to have a shower and a check after that and every hour or so until I was set off to my room!

The peeing hurt like hell, however leaning right forward does help slightly.

after having forceps resulting in a 4th degree tear (which is apparently quite rare) i had about 6 doctors come into the birth suite to have a look - it was exactly as you would see on grey's anatomy, where all the drs want to get a look in. then i had to go to theatre, was put in really high stirrups, spread-eagled with my bum in the air for an hour and a half being stitched up, just with the epidural, so i was well aware of everything happening.

then i had to have ultrasound physiotherapy on my stitches everyday to help them heal, so spend at least half an hour each day with my daks down, and an ultrasound wand being rubbed over my nether regions, and occasionally a nurse or 2 would come in while it was going on, what a lovely sight that must have been.

while lying on my side having physio with extremely weak pelvic floor muscles, i found out its really hard to keep farts in, especially when you have been trying to overdose yourself on fibre (ie metamucil 3 times daily and allbran for breakfast).

because i had trouble breastfeeding, i was trying to express between each feed attempt, so i had a breast pump hanging off each boob like i was a cow, and visitors kept turning up while i am sitting there with my boobs out. fun.

then at my 6 week post partum check, the OB needed to check to make sure that everything was healing up correctly, including my sphincter valve which also tore slightly during birth. so on top of having a pap smear i also had a finger up my bum.

i also had to have more physio after leaving hospital - the physio watched (ie knickers down legs spread) while i did my pelvic floor exercises to make sure i was using the right muscles.

i think thats about it for now.

oh...i am having a caesar this time. do you blame me?!

I had a 3c tear and have been recommended by several drs to have a c-section next time. I have been umming and ahhing but I think you just convinced me!! laugh

I didn't get the hurt to pee but I did get an excrutiating pain in my urethra for a month or so just when I was walking or standing, it hurt so bad I lived on painkillers... I had a drugfree labour but needed pain killers for the aftermath! laugh
LMAO at the icecubes! I loved those frozen pads! laugh
OMG after reading these I had it SOOOOOOOOOO easy!!! LOL
i think you are stripped of all modesty as soon as you get pregnant. from the internals all the way through to the finger up the butt, showerig with your dh and your midwife and the checking of stitches afterwards. oh, and when you have blood clots that they want you to keep so they can have a look to see that all is ok. the haemorrhoid check and instruction on how to use anasol (seriously, could they pick a worse name to request at a chemist?). god, it all sucked. must admit though that after giving birth to 2 kids nothing much shames me anymore.
after reading these I am so glad that all mine were c sections but my last one also had some complications, mainly the ob. nicked my bladder and had to fix that first before he could sew me back up.The worst thing was the extended use of a catheter and when they took it out they had to do an in and out glass catheter every few hours ouch.Needless to say, the mums to be will now be worried but well informed.So pleased dh had had the snip lol

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

HAHAHAHA these are hilarious. Obviously wouldnt have been at the time. I dont even know what embarrasing moment was worse for me but probably when I got a third degree tear and while waiting for a theatre i had a male training nurse holding gauze and his whole hand inside me to control bleeding. Im 22 and he would have been no older than me and was just standing there having a normal conversation with my husband and I..argh memories haha
Seriously brilliant idea for a thread!!

I ended up with a 2nd degree tear which the Dr just stitched up while I was still numb from the epi and up in the stirrups.. When another DR came in and they discussed their weekend plans .. with me spread eagle being stitched :S

and then of course the "snail trail" of blood when going to the shower in the birthing suite.. i was so embaressed but midwife assured me she had seen it all before haha

modesty and childbirth do not go together.

Agreed! I was so embarassed when I was in labour. My ex ILs walked in when bub was halfway out and saw me completely naked and covered in blood and stayed in the room while I got stitched up for an hour.
Wow this is the best thread ever!!
Pooping is usually something that's not spoken about when giving birth and being a first time pregnant I am so scared of one popping out....just the thought makes me cringe. But hearing these other stories seems like that may not be the worst of it.
Seems like I have a lot to learn yet!!
Thanks for starting this thread - it's been very enlightening and been a great hearing you can laugh about it now!!
Still LMAO why oh why did i want another one lol.

Wow this is the best thread ever!!
Pooping is usually something that's not spoken about when giving birth and being a first time pregnant I am so scared of one popping out....just the thought makes me cringe. But hearing these other stories seems like that may not be the worst of it.
Seems like I have a lot to learn yet!!
Thanks for starting this thread - it's been very enlightening and been a great hearing you can laugh about it now!!

No Worries. I remember being pregnant with my first, and thinking it was going to be beer and skittles, and dont get me wrong for some lucky ladies that is the case.

But in some cases it is just hours filled with poo, blood, vomit and the most intense pain ever, and I think it's good to get a realistic idea of what might be to come.

I seriously thought I was going to go into hospital with a bit of period pain, give a couple of big pushes and have my lovely little well behaved child asleep in my arms for the next 6 months! LOL how wrong was I!
Sign in to follow this topic