Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Labour and Birth
  5. Should i lay a complaint about my birth?

Should i lay a complaint about my birth? Rss

Just a little background to pre:Brith

the 3 weeks leading up to Elis birth i was in and out of hospital with toxaemia. My midwife said i had said i had 1/2 a + of protein in my urine. I was very swollen - and wasnt 100% happy with my care and went to an after hours where i was at 2+ ( 4 days after the inital reading from the midwife) they immeadiately sent me up to the hospital where they wanted to induce me on the monday but the midwife had thrown her weight around said she couldnt do it then and it would have to be Tuesday ( which she still wasnt happy about which was obvious at the appointment on the monday before the first induction she also said i didnt have pre-eclasmia )WTH???

The first induction failed and i was home.

I was still unwell and in and out of hospital i was checked regularly - on my due date a doctor was assigned to discuss what was going to happen - he advised me that he was going to have me induced the following day. I arrive at the hospital at 7.30 and have the first gel inserted nothing happens and my midwife explains she has another appointment on that afternoon in wellington im based in the hutt ( when she kneww my induction was on that day I felt left in the lurch)

Luckily the fill in midwife was lovely and im ashamed to say i liked her alot more than my own midwife - she administed the second gel and 2 hours later i went from nothing to 18 contractions in 10 minutes hitting me wave after wave that was at 2pm.

by 6pm i was on the monitor - i was screaming the hospital down this didnt feel normal and my midwife returned saying another 10 minutes - and occassionally breath ..
I must have been screaming with enough frequency as i remember a doctor coming in about 10pm and seeing me advising me i was only 5cm dialated and his head wasnt even engaged in my pelvis and they injected a drug straight into my hand it stoped everything

I was then given the epi that was at about 11.30

The head dr came and saw me after watching baby on the monitor babys heart rate was dropping during the contractions i was having - I was also told my bits had swollen up and the best option given that my body was under so much stress from the toxemia that C section would be best for me and baby

It went well and my son was born at 1.06am healthy and happy.

My midwife stayed until i was wheeled out of recovery and into my ward.

after that i did not see her for 3 days or hear from her ( I thought this was off even though i was still in the hospital and had nurses there.)

when i saw her she said i had odemia and not toxiema and my son didnt go into distress ( if that was the case then why was i given a c -section I was furious )

6 days after Eli was born i was finally allowed to go home and we had to wait around for her to see us before we left we waited for 30 mins with no txts to say she would be late or anything i was at my witts end and my nurse sided with me and said i could go and she would leave a message on my midwifes phone even though we had seen her leave the hospital 20 minutes earlier.. i wasnt prepared to wait so went home and she came and saw us then.

further to that first visit at home i then was meant to see her 3 days later on the friday she never showed and i felt unwell on the saturday and rang her number there was no answer so i rang the hospital and they tried.

I recieved a phone call from another midwife who said she was managing my widwives cases but hadnt been made aware of mine and hadnt known until that morning that the calls had been diverted to her phone ( mentioned that she was 'Pissed off ' and she would come and see me 9 am the following morning.

She showed up and restored my confidence - she took my blood pressure it was 160 over 100 and i was on medication for it she immeadiately rang the hospital and did everything to make sure i was medicated correctly and checked me thoughrougly and said she would talk to my midwife beucause it was completely unacceptable that i was left unchecked with my bloodpressure
After that my midwife was alot more attentive of me kept me in the loop if she couldnt make appointments ect.. i have the feeling she was only doing it to save her bacon and hope i didnt make a complaint .

I am not sure whether i should - complain or not as i have only one buba.

SOME ADVICE PLEASE wink
hi there any chance getting the name of the midwife? I had DD at hutt and had a *** time too. I actually got a survey from the dhb and midwife to complete afterwards i sent them both in the dhb person phoned so concerned about what had happened asked me to put in a formal complaint to them. I intended to but found it to hard to relieve it all again to do it so never did then later I really regreted not doing it so if I was you I would you have nothing to lose and your care was obviously not upto scratch.

Congrats on bubs and good luck
I think if you feel let down in your experience you should complain It might help to stop this midwife being so lax with someone else.I had terrible time with my after care nurse with my first and wish I had the confidence to speak out. smile

Just a little background to pre:Brith

the 3 weeks leading up to Elis birth i was in and out of hospital with toxaemia. My midwife said i had said i had 1/2 a + of protein in my urine. I was very swollen - and wasnt 100% happy with my care and went to an after hours where i was at 2+ ( 4 days after the inital reading from the midwife) they immeadiately sent me up to the hospital where they wanted to induce me on the monday but the midwife had thrown her weight around said she couldnt do it then and it would have to be Tuesday ( which she still wasnt happy about which was obvious at the appointment on the monday before the first induction she also said i didnt have pre-eclasmia )WTH???

The first induction failed and i was home.

I was still unwell and in and out of hospital i was checked regularly - on my due date a doctor was assigned to discuss what was going to happen - he advised me that he was going to have me induced the following day. I arrive at the hospital at 7.30 and have the first gel inserted nothing happens and my midwife explains she has another appointment on that afternoon in wellington im based in the hutt ( when she kneww my induction was on that day I felt left in the lurch)

Luckily the fill in midwife was lovely and im ashamed to say i liked her alot more than my own midwife - she administed the second gel and 2 hours later i went from nothing to 18 contractions in 10 minutes hitting me wave after wave that was at 2pm.

by 6pm i was on the monitor - i was screaming the hospital down this didnt feel normal and my midwife returned saying another 10 minutes - and occassionally breath ..
I must have been screaming with enough frequency as i remember a doctor coming in about 10pm and seeing me advising me i was only 5cm dialated and his head wasnt even engaged in my pelvis and they injected a drug straight into my hand it stoped everything

I was then given the epi that was at about 11.30

The head dr came and saw me after watching baby on the monitor babys heart rate was dropping during the contractions i was having - I was also told my bits had swollen up and the best option given that my body was under so much stress from the toxemia that C section would be best for me and baby

It went well and my son was born at 1.06am healthy and happy.

My midwife stayed until i was wheeled out of recovery and into my ward.

after that i did not see her for 3 days or hear from her ( I thought this was off even though i was still in the hospital and had nurses there.)

when i saw her she said i had odemia and not toxiema and my son didnt go into distress ( if that was the case then why was i given a c -section I was furious )

6 days after Eli was born i was finally allowed to go home and we had to wait around for her to see us before we left we waited for 30 mins with no txts to say she would be late or anything i was at my witts end and my nurse sided with me and said i could go and she would leave a message on my midwifes phone even though we had seen her leave the hospital 20 minutes earlier.. i wasnt prepared to wait so went home and she came and saw us then.

further to that first visit at home i then was meant to see her 3 days later on the friday she never showed and i felt unwell on the saturday and rang her number there was no answer so i rang the hospital and they tried.

I recieved a phone call from another midwife who said she was managing my widwives cases but hadnt been made aware of mine and hadnt known until that morning that the calls had been diverted to her phone ( mentioned that she was 'Pissed off ' and she would come and see me 9 am the following morning.

She showed up and restored my confidence - she took my blood pressure it was 160 over 100 and i was on medication for it she immeadiately rang the hospital and did everything to make sure i was medicated correctly and checked me thoughrougly and said she would talk to my midwife beucause it was completely unacceptable that i was left unchecked with my bloodpressure

I would most deffinately be making a complaint. Im sure you dont want any other women treated like this.

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

hi there any chance getting the name of the midwife? I had DD at hutt and had a *** time too. I actually got a survey from the dhb and midwife to complete afterwards i sent them both in the dhb person phoned so concerned about what had happened asked me to put in a formal complaint to them. I intended to but found it to hard to relieve it all again to do it so never did then later I really regreted not doing it so if I was you I would you have nothing to lose and your care was obviously not upto scratch.

Congrats on bubs and good luck

I have PM you personally with the name
Do it! "only one buba"? But its YOUR buba so the most important buba in the world & a midwife is supposed to understand that.
I went through some similar complications. it took 3 goes to induce me & eventually went into labour really hardcore at 42+4. 19 hours of it. EJ's heart rate kept dropping too then we had shoulder distocia & then his heart stopped. a doctor a midwife & a nurse all had to yank him out together & he was shocked to start his heart but still didnt breathe for 4 minutes. But my tough little man pulled through.
I was told once he was breathing he was fine & would just be in special care for a couple of hours. knowing everything was ok my partner went home to get some sleep before work the next morning & still feeling the effects of all the drugs etc I tried to rest ready for my boy to be brought to me.
it never happened. i waited & waited & no one gave me any info. at that point i didnt even know exactly what had happened during the birth coz i was too out of it to understand.
I asked the midwife on my ward where he was & when he would be with me & she went away to find out & came back with 3 phone numbers for me to ring to find him & the info myself! !
I eventually found out he was staying in special care & i would have to come see him. They didnt tell me I could get someone to take me there in a wheelchair & I still had a drip & catheter. Eventually another midwife sorted me out for a visit.
I could go on. there is so much more before & after that.
But then on my last day in hospital the head midwife came because she was doing random surveys on mothers experiences.
So I told her Everything. She was horrified. I cried the whole time I was telling her. She could tell I was scared & had no idea what was going on at the time. She made sure she found the names of every person that had been a part of my experience to she could deal with them individually.
I felt soooooo much better when I got it off my chest.
You will too.
Sorry about the novel!!

thanks for your imput i really want to lay it to rest because at the moment im too terrafied to have any more kids - because you have to have a midwife or carer .

im not looking for an apology from her though i got a rather blah-zay one that seemed more like sucking up than anything.

my plunket nurse recommended i ring up the DHB and ask for some guidance on the matter

I think i should still do this - i think the worse thing was she blamed having more clients than usual if that was the case she shouldnt have taken anymore on i would have happily moved onto someone else had i known - but didnt as i had such a hard time finding one in the first place now i know why the ones are left over are there for a reason..
I would definately complain, that is horrible. As someone who is about to have their 3rd child, being induced next week due to gestational diabetes, I have already told the ward where they start the inducing process that my husband will not be leaving, with my second child they told me to ring my husband when I was in labour contractions were 2mins apart, so no, they need to be informed so it wont happen again, and that when you are ready you will feel safe to have another baby

Well I'm gonna have to disagree - I think there are always two sides to every story. Given how you felt about female midwives, hospitals and any interventions, I actually would have been surprised to see a post saying that you were happy with the care you got. It sounds like you don't actually know what happened and what was wrong with you - so if I were you I'd get someone to actually explain it to you and tell you why you required a c-section - and then go from there once you have all the facts. The main things which are evident from your posts are that you really disliked your midwife and that she was busy with other clients. It may not have been her fault - it sounds like there's a shortage of midwives in your area.
Sorry haven't read other responses. I had issues with the care i received from my midwife with my first son. If you have a look at the NZ college of midwives page it has some info on providing feedback.

http://www.midwife.org.nz/index.cfm/3,255,607/consumer-lmcmw-2009.pdf

If the above link works I filled in this form about my midwife. I put my contact details and received a call from them to discuss whether I wanted to take things further, but left it be as I felt I had, had my say and gotten it off my chest.

Hope this may help you.

Should also add the college of midwives site also has a list of what is expected of your LMC. (About Lead Maternity Carer (LMC) Provided Services). I found this usefull as to proved along with my notes, just how lack my care had been.

Sign in to follow this topic