Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Just leave me alone! Rss

So I have decided when I go in for our c/s it will be at 8am. I dont want any visitors that day until 3pm (maternity ward is closed from 12-3) DS and DH will be the only ones in.
My family, especially my mum, keep arguing and pushing me to let them come. I cant physically stop them being at the hospital but I really wish they would just respect my choice and stop trying to make me feel guilty.

Am I being selfish. I just want time to recover and some alone time with my little family. I think it should be all about Me, my husband and our son, welcoming the new addition.

Young people learn from experience. So who are we to try and stop them

Definatly not selfish!! Is is YOUR birth and you decide who should be there. After my birth, I just wanted to be left alone with my husband and baby. They'll just have to suck it up. If they get their own way, you'll always look back and regret not having that special intimate time with your new family smile
If you tell the midwife/nurse you dont want visitors they wont let them in.
I did it, no one got offended and I didn't have to deal with it. smile

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

I think they're lucky you are letting them visit that afternoon. If it was me I would be making them wait until the next day.

My in-laws are great actually. They will be staying at our place to help with ds and they never question my choices, I think I scare them a little. Its so hard when its your own family. Only bonus we have is they wont know which room I will be in. I would love to keep them out till the next day but that will cause so much trouble I just dont want to deal with it.

I wish people would respect that a woman who has just given birth whether it be vaginally or c section needs a chance to rest and recover without having to worry about entertaining visitors. The baby too needs time to adjust to his/her new environment, the smell of mum, breastfeeding if you plan too, not to mention baby is usually a bit shell shocked and tired from the birth. Mum does not need a thousand visitors commenting on how she looks, asking how she feels bla bla bla and baby does not need all those unfamiliar hands touching them and photo flashes going off. I think you are quite within your right to say no visitors and to be honest they should be thankful you are willing to have visitors in the afternoon. My next baby, nobody is allowed to come until the next day, all those visitors on the first day got ridiculous and I really wish I had said no.

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

I refused to have any visitors when I had my 2nd baby and I'll be doing the same this time around! The only exception was my mum who was looking after DD so she bought her up to the hospital to meet her little brother... I went home the next day (Friday) and I didn't have any visitors until the Sunday. Told everyone to come for morning tea, they came, ate some food had a coffee cuddled DS then left lol was much more pleasant than having people coming to the hospital at random times when all you want to do is rest and cuddle your baby...

You can tell the hospital staff you don't want any visitors and they will respect your wishes. I also told them no phone calls to my room, I had my mobile so could put that on silent when I was resting smile

Just tell your family straight out you would prefer visitors once you're home and settled, if it causes any issues it's not your problem! I hope they will be understanding of what you want since you're the one giving birth!!

just dont tell them ur room number n tell the hosp staff u dont want visitors, simple smile But it would just be nice if they respected ur wishes seeing as u r the one giving birth!!
Skubala wrote:
I wish people would respect that a woman who has just given birth whether it be vaginally or c section needs a chance to rest and recover without having to worry about entertaining visitors.

AGREED!!

I only had hubby and my parents.. later that night after i had told people i didnt want visitors, i had my aunty and uncle and their two kids, and 2 of my other cousins rock up - and they wondered why i didnt care too much to entertain them. even now, i dont particuarly want visitors at home, everyone is busting their chops to get to my house and hold the baby take photos blah blah blah but im just enjoying time adjusting to new life and having quality family time!

MbkEventPhotography wrote:
Skubala wrote:
I wish people would respect that a woman who has just given birth whether it be vaginally or c section needs a chance to rest and recover without having to worry about entertaining visitors.

AGREED!!

I only had hubby and my parents.. later that night after i had told people i didnt want visitors, i had my aunty and uncle and their two kids, and 2 of my other cousins rock up - and they wondered why i didnt care too much to entertain them. even now, i dont particuarly want visitors at home, everyone is busting their chops to get to my house and hold the baby take photos blah blah blah but im just enjoying time adjusting to new life and having quality family time!

Argh. My labour started at 2:30am after only a few hours sleep. I had DD at 10:30. Mum came up first, which was fine. Then she went and came back with my step dad. Then it was rest period so I got left alone for a few hours. BUT then I had a work colleague come, then my mum and grandparents, then a friend came, then just as she was leaving my DH's sister and 2 kids arrived, they stayed quite awhile then while they were still there my brother came. It was now 8pm and just as this lot of visitors were leaving I had 2 more friends send me a text message to say they were on their way up... they arrived at 8:30pm and by that stage I was in a foul mood and told them to go after about 15 minutes because I was exhausted. Looking back at photos now, I have dozens of photos of other people holding DD but only 2 of me holding her. It was a really stressful day and I regret having so many people there! 12 visitors in only a few hours - way too many!

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

Way too many ppl want to come ASAP and it is just our immediate family. My parents, grandparents, and siblings and DH parents. A total of 10 ppl cramming away to come see bub. I don't know how I will feel after surgery and I don't want to be put on a schedule. The other issues is who gets to come first. My parents or DH's parents. They are always in competition and it shits me. My parents live 5 mins away from us so you would think they wouldn't be in a rush as they can visit any time they chose. DH parents live 500km away and have planned their holidays around bubs birth. But they are the ones who are more accepting of my choice (maybe coz MIL has had 3 c/s herself)

Its such a hard situation. My mother acts like I'm punishing her and my dad feels the need to defend her. Cant even approach the subject anymore. I will be sending out a mass txt on the day. I already have it saved to my phone. Just insert baby name and details and send!!!

Sign in to follow this topic