Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Worried about a friend... Lock Rss

Hi everyone !

I've been lurking on these boards for a while, but decided to make my first post.

Without naming names, a friend I have through another baby forum has just announced that she is going to have a chiropractic induction of her baby at 38 weeks - she is due around the same time as me (EDD just a few days later).

I can't put my finger on an exact reason, but somehow this has me quite worried - it's her first baby, and she hasn't had much of a good time of it, and apparently her midwife agrees with this plan.

Even though I don't want to go overdue, am hoping my girl comes on time and not late etc, I would far rather go into spontaneous labour than induce it - unless there was an extremely critical medical circumstance that dictated I *HAD* to have an induction.

Maybe it's just the pregnancy hormones making me overly critical or something, but I guess I wonder whether she knows that occurrence of complications are higher with inductions... and then the irrational side of me occasionally kicks in with "Does she really know what she's doing ??" It's at this point where I try to put it out of my mind, as I'm really honestly not out to judge anyone for the choices they make.

I mean, initially I didn't know (although wasn't overly surprised) there were chiropractic techniques that could induce labour, but when I gently tried to ask what had been suggested - I was told that her Chiro wouldn't say / couldn't discuss it.

I'm mostly venting in writing this, as I realise there probably aren't any suggestions to be offered !! Thanks for listening folks... and hope to get to eventually know you all a bit better !

Cheers
Jax

Jacquie, Erin's Mummy - Born 13th July 2006

hi Jax,

I find it really hard to believe that her chiro wouldn't tell her what was involved. How is she to know what risks (if any) are involved with the procedure?? What is the success rate? How does it work?
Is she reluctant to give you details because she can sense your apprehension or does she genuinely not know??

Personally I would have tried anything when my first born was overdue (eventually induced at 12 days past due date). But I stopped short of techniques that I deemed a risk (eg, caster oil).

or me the old sex therapy worked (although there was a bit of false labour also, which was MOST annoying)

As far as I'm aware chiro on pregnant women is a no no as your ligaments are more stretchy due to the hormonal changes.

I hope you can find a way to have a comfotable chat to your friend so you can get a better understanding of what she feels. After all she may appreciate someone to talk about it with (if she's completely comfortable with it all she should be happy to talk about it!!).

Good Luck

Aimee
Sign in to follow this topic