Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Planning for Pregnancy
  5. do you think 20 is an acceptable age to have a child?

do you think 20 is an acceptable age to have a child? Rss

Hi Ashlee

I believe that the acceptable age to have a child is different for everyone. Levels of maturity differ between people of the same age - some people don't feel ready till they're thirty, some twenty etc. Some people want a career first and some want to be a full time parent above anything else.

I think what I am trying to say is that the acceptable age is your decision - try not to let people tell you your too young if you feel you aren't.

I was pregnant with my first at 24 and my husband and I look MUCH younger than we are (my husband is younger than me!) and people often commented on us being too young but we just ignored it. We have had nothing but support from our families and friends.

My pregnancy was not planned but we couldn't be happier. I always wanted to have children young. My husbands parents were 20 when they had him and they said it was great - they all grew up together. His mum is only 44 now and she says shes glad she did it so young and she is also a young grandmother!

Good Luck!

4 lovely munchkins DD 10/03, DD 03/05, DS 10/06 &

OOps, sorry I spelt your name incorrectly. My daughter has the same name and is spelt differently! I am just used to typing that spelling. Sorry!

4 lovely munchkins DD 10/03, DD 03/05, DS 10/06 &

Hi there,

I am 21 years old and have an 8month old daughter, so was 20 when i fell pregnant and had her. I know that there are alot of people who thought i was way too young to have a baby as there was so much i could have done. Neither the less, i had my little girl and couldnt be happier! i am a single mum which makes things a little more difficult, but i couldnt be happier with my situation. i finished a full years university study while i had her and am graduating this week.

to be honest i dont think anyone can be totally sure of when they are ready to have a baby as situations constantly change etc, all i know is that when my girl is 5years old i will be 25 and a great age to start a career rather than have to stop in the middle of it to start having kids!!!

best of luck with everything, as long as you are happy and can provide your baby with a great life, who cares what anyone else thinks!!!!
Hi there asheligh!
i was 20 when i had my girl and am know 21 and wouldnt change anything for the world!! i believe that there is never a "right" age to have children. I am a single mum which makes things a little more difficult but i wouldnt change anything for the world. i completed a full year study at universtity when i was pregnant and had her and am graduating this week. the way i see it is that when my girl is 5yrs, i will be 25 and a great age to start a career rather than have to stop in the middle of it to have children!!
as long as you are happy and can provide a child with a safe and happy home then who cares what anyone else thinks!! best of luck with everything, im sure you will love being a mum as much as i do!
hi there,
im 21 with 2 girls aged 3 and a 1/2, 13 months and one on the way, i started at 17 and i have the time of my life even though im now single im still coping ok, i dont think that 20 is too young because if i did id be a hipercrit wouldnt i.
if you think that the time is right and you feel mentally and financially stable go for it, it will be by far the best desision of your life good-luck.

Tracey-daughters Enica & Krystal EDD 28/7/04

Hey
I was 21 when my twins were born, I don't think that there is anything wrong with being a young mum as long as you are prepared to make the changes that you have to make. I don't think it gets easier to have kids as you get older so that shouldn't be an issue. But if you and your partner are both ready then go for it! Some people will look as you strange and some will make mean comments but as long as you are happy and it is what you want them go for it! My boys are now 5.5mths old and I still get funny looks from people who don't think i should have 2 babies! (Not that its something i could have helped!).

If you wanna talk some more then you can email me Lizcam@xtra.co.nz

Liz

PS I think my family was a bit against me getting pregnant so young but they love their grandsons and wouldn't change them for the world!
Sign in to follow this topic