Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Planning for Pregnancy
  5. What Practicle Advice Would You Pass On To A First Time Pregnant Mum???

What Practicle Advice Would You Pass On To A First Time Pregnant Mum??? Rss

Hi there,

As a mum of a 13 month old daughter and who is 13 weeks pregnant with baby number 2. I thought there must be lots of us out there that could put some practicle advice here for frist time pregnant mum's to let them benefit from our wisdom and experience.

For example just something simple... Avoid baby clothes that need ironing. Buy clothes that are just wash and wear. It might sound silly but I got a few items of clothing that as lovely as they are, are just a pain... busy mum's don't have a lot of time to fiddle with ironing baby clothes.

Another one is, don't buy a heavy pram. Remember you will have to lug it everywhere and get it in and out of the car.

Lets see what you other mum's can come up with?

Michelle smile
Hi,

I think making sure youpick a really good nappy bag! Everyone has different likes for their bags! I bought an actually nappy bag for my 1st and it fell apart with hardly any use and it wasn't really practicle for how I used it but this time I bought a bag, a type of document laptop bag, and it has been get as it has all these little compartments for my purse and phone and keys and zipper parts for anything small I don't want to fall out! It has been such a great buy and it cost half the price of an actual nappy bag!

When searching for one....shop around!

Hope this is useful!

Mum(29) - DS 7yr, DD 4yr & DD 2yr

Hi,
My advice would be to get as much rest as you can!! You won't get much for a while after bubs is born, so enjoy your sleep-ins while you can.
Also, instead of buying 000 singlets, buy 00. They are a little bit longer (which is great to have when tucking in), but you won't have to go out and buy more in the first couple of months. 00's will generally last them up til they around 6 months of age. This will allow you to spend your money on other things for your baby.
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

I think a good idea that I did with my first and intend to do with my second is get the controlled crying done early.

I did it with my first when he was two months. It took two weeks and a lot of me sitting outside his door restraining myself from going in and picking him up, but from that point on i have been able to put him down for his sleep wide awake and walk away. He is now 18 months and there is no fuss whatsoever and never has been.

It also makes it a lot easier for people who are babysitting as he doesn't need someone to rock him to sleep. The other good thing is that after those two weeks, i could still hold and cuddle him to sleep at different times and it didn't affect his ability to put himself to sleep.

It freed up a lot of time for me to catch up with housework and sleep and sterilising and washing and the list goes on. It may seem harsh to do it so early, but its worked for me it may work for other mums.
Take a moment each day to think how miraculous the whole pregnancy thing is and how lucky you are to be chosen to be the mother of this tiny person, you may never be pregnant again and time goes so quick. (Although I would have liked the last month to go a little quicker.)

Mum to 3 boys, baby girl!!!

I agree with one of the other mums, Rest as much as you can. Enjoy being alone with your partner, go to the movies, go out to dinner, They are so much more enjoyable without a crying baby.

If your interested in breastfeeding then look into those anti-natal breastfeeding seminars. And maybe read up on it. I didnt even think about it, I just thought it would come naturally... not for everyone.

Enjoy being in hospital! Being brought breakfast lunch and tea is wonderful!!

Every shopping day I would buy nappies or wipes that came in handy! I didnt have to buy any for ages. One of the best things I brought was the steam steriliser from Avent. 4 mins in the microwave. Too bad I missed out on it for the first 6 months!

Michelle.

michelle, mum of jackson 13-02-03

This is a reflection on what I didn't cope with

1. get the sleeping down pat

Read as much as you can about what you should or shouldn't do. How much they need at what age. Get it right from the word go. It becomes a nightmare if you don't. I have certainly lived that nightmare.

mum of 3

Focus not so much on the scary birth but on what will happen when u get home.

Read a good book. Go out for dinner with your partner a lot. Get plenty of sleep. Sleep in on sunday. Enjoy your pregnancy as once it's over life will never be the same.

Don't buy any 0000 baby clothes. They are only in them for a week if that. Also you'll be amazed by other peoples generosity and will probably recieve stacks of clothes that bub will never get to wear.

Don't take tags off clothes that you don't think they'll get a chance to wear. Then you can exchange them for bigger sizes. As long as it's got the tag on it and often even if it doesn't you can still exchange it.

If your stocking up on nappies keep the receipts as they aren't in the newborn nappies for long so you may end up needing to exchange for the bigger sizes which unless you know what you are having you can't necessarily pre-purchase as they are boy/girl.

Buy plenty of baby wipes.

I could keep going but with my new post baby brain I can't remember anything else for now!

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Hi Everyone

I am the mother of a 4 yo boy and a 2 yo girl and am due again in June 2004. Some advice I have to give is;

Listen politely to all the "unwelcome" advice you get and then do things the way you feel is best for your baby and yourself.

Try not to buy baby clothes that do up at the back.

If someone wants to visit at an unsuitable time, suggest another time that is more suitable to you, so that you don't miss out on a precious nap or quiet time to yourself.

Best of luck

Carmel,Vic, 2 and counting...

listen to all advice given by everyone but at the end of the day this is your baby do as you feel is right. cherish every second with them take as many pics as you can as they dont stay small for long. and enjoy its a great experience maybe not the labour or cesearians but the end result.

Narelle, Eilish 5th june 2002 TTC since dec 2002

a lot of people will offer to help... accept it!! people seem reluctant to let people help them but it will make your life easier and make friends and family feel good that they can help. actually even if people don't offer -ask! people often wonder what they can do to help but are a bit shy about asking!

Kelly,QLD, boy 23.01.03 and girl 08.04.05

hi
relax relax relax!!! wen u r in given birth just go with it and relax, u dont want to tire yourself out!!

dont buy baby heaps of clothes wen they are new born coz they grow so fast!!

dont expect to much of your baby! eg boy or girl, blue or green eyes. coz if u get sumthing that u dnt picture in yr head u are only setting yrself up for dissapointment!

enjoy abd have fun with yr child when they are young coz it dnt last for ever.

ohhhh and ..... TAKE HEAPS AND HEAPS OF FOTOS

good luck with everything

Laurelle, Carlos (nearly 3) Kobe (7 months)

Sign in to follow this topic