Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

11-13 wk scan Rss

Hi,

Firstly i want to say i am NOT pregnant, but congratulations to my sister whom is, with No3!

Did everyone have the nucleau fold (sorry i can't spell) at about 11-13wks??? I did with both pregnancies, as did my sister, but she has been told by her Dr it is not necessary! She is under 30!

Just wanting to see what has happened to others!!!

Thanks for reading,
Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi Tepe,

My doctor told me that he didn't push people to have it and told me only to bother if I would consider abortion if something was wrong. As I wouldn't abort no matter what, I didn't bother. I figured the 19 week scan was going to be enough for me! But I also understand the 12 week scan is the one that most parents love as they get to see their baby (usually for the first time!).

Yvette
HI Tepe

I am 26 and only had it so we could see the baby my doctor asked if I wanted to have it, it was totally up to me.

As I think I've said before he wasn't even fussed that I couldn't complete my 20 week ultrasound (due to throwing up in the bin while on the table) as he said it was only to see for spina bifida and as I had passed the 20 week mark there was no point trying again as it would be too late to terminate if I had wanted to.

I thought ultrasounds were really necessary but I guess they aren't.

love steph

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

Hi Tepe

I had the nuchal translucency screening at 13 weeks. I had it as both of my children are deaf and we knew that we wouldn't be able to handle a baby with major nueral problems, so we would have terminated. I don't believe it is the doctors call to decide whether your sister has one or not, and she should put her foot down, before the time frame runs out.
She could also have the quadruple blood test (previously called the triple test), which is used as a back up to the NTS.
I know alot of people who have had the blood test and not the NTS, even when their "risk" is low and not one of them was told it was not necessary. Maybe should could consider this if she has no luck...?
Let us know what happens.....

Carmel,Vic, 2 and counting...

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for your responses. After reading and asking opinions, I have booked her into my Drs so she can ask for the referral. It is not only the test that is important, but her and her husband run two businesses and already have two children, and they need to check dates etc.

Thanks again,
Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Sign in to follow this topic