Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Keeping Fit & Healthy during Pregnancy
  5. Has anyone else experienced painful leg cramps in pregnancy?

Has anyone else experienced painful leg cramps in pregnancy? Rss

Hello All,

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced painful legs cramps in their pregnancies and what they did to help eleviate them.

All suggestions and advice welcome.

Michelle smile
This post has been edited by the moderator.
Hello Michelle I too had terrible cramps in my calf muscles. They would wake me up and it felt like my muscles were tearing.

The only thing I found helped was to stretch them. I would point my toes and then left the toes back up towards my knees, hard to explain but sort of pushing out my heel as straight as possible. I would just go little by little until the pain eased.

The towel suggestion from tonipie sounds like a great idea. I wish I knew about it at the time.

You poor thing they are just terrible and so so painful. I hope you get some other great advice regarding a solution and as quick as possible!!

Take care gorgeous girl!
Hi Tonipie and Calebsmum,

THANKYOU smile so much for your replies.

I have put a towel beside the bed and will use it when I need to stretch out my leg.

See that is something I never would have thought of! This is a great place to learn new things.

I have tried gentle exercise too, but never the less I am still getting these rotten cramps...

Thanks Calebsmum for your kind words as always...

Michelle smile

I got leg cramps during the night. I would just stretch the muscle, or try to untill the cramp went away. After some time I actually managed to stretch the muscle (pulling the toes up) before the cramp got hold, which worked great and prevented quite a few that way. So if you feel one coming on, quickly stretch your muscle. (I had all mine in the calf muscles)

Kristina, Mum of James 3yrs & Matilda 14 months

Hi Kristina,

Thanks for your reply. Yes all my cramps are in the calf muscles too. When they really take hold they are so tight and painful. I have found sometimes I can stop them by stretching the muscle, but when they creep up on me in my sleep that is a whole other thing. Its nice to know I am not the only one suffering these rotten things... if nothing else that makes me feel a little better.

Michelle smile
Oh I reckon it would be pretty common amongst pregnant women. It was in my first pregnancy that I got them. So they haven't started as yet this time, and fingers crossed.
I thought people got cramps when lacking sodium or something, and drank some kind of electrolytes (now the big words are coming out) or something. I was taking Elevit during my first pregnancy and am this time too. But I am eating more fruit, so I'll see if that makes a difference. And if I find out what the secret is, I'll be sure to let you know!

Kristina, Mum of James 3yrs & Matilda 14 months

Hi Michelle,

This may sound very strange but my obstetrician recommended eating 2 bananas per day and it worked for me. So far this time (20 weeks our 2nd baby) I am making sure to eat 1 banana per day and so far so good. I will surely increase to 2 per day when and if the cramps start again as it worked a treat last time. The DR did say he believed it was an old wifes tale but all his patients swear by it and I do now as well! Good Luck with the cramps and enjoy the bananas (they do get a bit much after a while but on cereal in the morning or in yoghurt for dessert it wasn't too bad).
Lidia (and Bryce 15mths)
Hi Lidia,

Thanks so much for the tip... Bananas hey? Well I will give it a shot! I like bananas so it wont be too much of a pain to eat one or two a day. I will let you know how it goes.

Thankyou,
Michelle smile
Hi Michelle,

I had some leg cramps in my pregnancy and my obs put me on Caltrate. Its just a calcium supplement you can buy over the counter at the chemist. You could ask your obs about it.

Bron

Mum to DD 08.08.03 and DS 12.05.05

Thanks Bron,

When I spoke to my GP she was quite sure that I wasn't deficient in anything. But next time I see her I will ask about the Caltrate.

Thanks for the advice smile

Michelle
He he!

Looking at the posts, it seems to be a common thing, I thought I was one of a few who suffered leg cramps during pregnancy. I have found two ways to help elevate cramps, one is getting your partner to massage the back of your legs when you feel the cramp coming on and two, strange but true, eat a bannana a day and that will help ease leg cramps, I eat one a day and haven't had any problems so far.

Talking about cramps, does anyone have suggestions for cramps in arms?

Hope this helps
Heather
Sign in to follow this topic