Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

air travel in late pregnancy Rss

Hi everyone, Ive just found out Im pregnant with my 2nd. Im very excited but I have already booked a flight in december to england. Holidaying for a month and probably coming home at about 30 to 33 weeks if I have my calculations right. I have rang the airline and they can allow you to fly if you have a Drs letter saying you are well.
But Id like to hear of anyone who has experienced this.

michelle, mum of jackson 13-02-03

Hi Michelle,

I am not sure of all the facts, but my Dad worked for Qantas for 30 years flying. So i am sure he will know something. I will ask him tomorrow and try and get back to you!

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hey there!
I don't mean to frighten you, but this is my experience....
I flew to melbourne from Brisbane at 27wks, everything was fine, a little uncomffy, but otherwise ok.
On the flight back I was 30wks, and i thought everything was ok until i got home and started having contractions! Not that painful, but bad enough,
-We went into hospital, and ended staying in for 2 nights of observation, on the 3rd day they had settled and I was allowed to go home but was put on strict rest, Very scary, I was in and out of hospital from then on and Evie was born perfectly at 38wks! nobody was sure that the flight was what caused it all to happen, but it was a big posability...
Again I don't mean to scare you, just thought you should know...
Take care x x

SaM, EviE NoV 03 AnD TuLLy AuG 05

Thank-you Eviesmama, Well you did scare me but thats okay. Especially because it is such a long flight. But the thing is we have already paid for our tickets but we have brought it forward so I will be 26 weeks flying out and 30 flying in. Another question which you probably will think is silly, Did your baby have colic or was she unsettleld at all? My first was very unsettled which just could be the fact that he was my first and I wasnt confidant. Im hoping this holiday/flight wont affect the baby. I also hate flying which will stress me out which cant be good. Thanks again for your post. Look forward to hearing more.

Hey! sorry again to have scared you!
Evie wasn't unsettled any more than the normal bub,
i was scared flying too, im sure that didnt help!
just be careful, you should be fine........
take care x x

SaM, EviE NoV 03 AnD TuLLy AuG 05

Hiya,

Sorry to not have replied sooner! But no help from my dad. He just said the old, "you must have a medical certificate, to fly after 6 months pregnancy".

Considering he can tell stories of stow-aways and all sorts.....

Sorry, i couldn't be of any help!

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

thank-you Evies mum for your post. You would think Im not as paranoid 2nd time around, yeah right! Flying is a big deal for me anyway and also flying with a 19 month old will be a bit exhausting, but Im sure we will be fine. Thanks again for scaring me ha ha...............

Thanx anyway for trying Tepe!

I was 30 weeks when I flew from Brisbane to NZ, (3hr flight) we were coming home so we could have our baby and he was fine, no worries or mishaps,I did have to provide a medical certificate but most doctors are happy to give one and its only so the airline can cover there asses if you did go into labour but if youve had a fairly good pregnancy I dont think youll have a problem. Good luck with whatever you decide. Also he was never colicky or fussy at all, a pefectly easy baby infact. Im now pregnant with my second and I bet he/she will be the fussy one!
Thankyou Enigma for your post. How do you think I will go on a 22 hour flight? I found out the other day that travel insurance only covers up to 26 weeks. So thats just great if something does happen. We are looking forward to our 1st family holiday though.

Hi. I'm about to fly at 34 weeks pregnant from Japan to Aus. - about 10 hours. I rang the airlines and they said I could fly up until 36 weeks. Up until 38 weeks with a medical certificate - and 38-40 if you travel with an OB/GYN. Not sure about the comfort factor, but I've been really luck yand had a great pregnancy withno problems. I'm going prepared though - three pillows, some panadol, some lollies etc. I have also been told to ask for either a free upgrade or several seats to myself. they also recommend having an aisle seat - for those frequent toilet trips and taking some snacks. I don't eat much but I eat often. two meals in 10 hours won't do for me. Hope this helps and I wish us both luck !!
hi Lizzle, wishing you all the best for a safe flight and a happy baby!

Sign in to follow this topic