Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Gestational Diabetes Lock Rss

Hi ladies!

I have had my bubba 6weeks ago and about to go through re testing for GD with the Dr. I have been told that the rate of GD babies are going up and up and I wanted to put a post on here for people that may be 'diagnosed' with it during their pregancies.

First of all, it's not your fault you have done NOTHING wrong to get this. I was in denile for a couple of weeks after being diagnosed and on top of that begun to beat myself up about it too. Maybe I had eaten something or done something for this to happen. It's simply not the case.

I did find it difficult to find support with other people who also had it and I found I got very little support from the OB or endochronologist when I had a mountain of questions. The local hospital does run a group and if it wasn't for them I think I may have gone mad.
Luckily I was able to find another girl who had GD and we buddied up for the final few weeks swapping recipies and stories.
She had insulin dependancy and I had diet controlled.

I just wanted to pop a post on here so If anyone else has GD and would like to ask questions, or get recipies or anything then there is a place for them to be aired.

Since having bub I have met a group of us who all experienced GD and it's nice to know you're not the only one. smile

Just remember at the end of the day it is possible to control with diet, insulin will only help you keep your BG levels stable and these two factors will protect and help your baby stay healthy and happy.

You have done nothing wrong.
Hi

I had gestational diabetes with my First being insulin dependant and second being diet controlled so when i feel pregnant with no 3 i thought for sure i'd have it again and all the docs said i would as well i had a test around a week ago and all came back normal. I do have to be retested at 28 weeks to check again but i was so suprised but i have been so stricted with my diet and i have from day one only eaten Low GI foods i think this may have helped preventing it again.

Hello there,

You're right - the rate of GD is on the rise, and in fact normally type II Diabetes Mellitus is too.

I had GD during my first pregnancy, which I managed to control through diet but it was REALLY hard. There were days where half a sandwich and a piece of fruit would send my levels sky high!

Anyways, we are expecting bubba number 2 and I have no doubt that I will be diagnosed with GD again.
Hi - I've been trying to control my GD through diet and exercise and have found it quite difficult. It seems that I could be eating the same thing but one day my levels will be good and the next day it's really high. I've lost a couple of kilos since I've found out (about 2 weeks ago) and have been quite stressed about it. I've had 2 elevated levels this week so far and if I have one more, I will have to get on the insulin. I would prefer not to but have found it too stressful trying to figure out what to eat to control it. Any diet tips would be great!

Hi - I've been trying to control my GD through diet and exercise and have found it quite difficult. It seems that I could be eating the same thing but one day my levels will be good and the next day it's really high. I've lost a couple of kilos since I've found out (about 2 weeks ago) and have been quite stressed about it. I've had 2 elevated levels this week so far and if I have one more, I will have to get on the insulin. I would prefer not to but have found it too stressful trying to figure out what to eat to control it. Any diet tips would be great!

Hi!!!
I found that by keeping my carb serves to be about 2 each meal and snack (its supposed to be 2-4 for a main and 1-2 for snack) and I tried to walk for 15-20mins a day I was able to control the levels. Don't freak out if they are high once in a while remember that stress is a huge factor in your sugar rise!
I found that ANY rice product or white potato I was sky high too.

Diet wise, did you get a sheet from a diabetes clinic on carb servings and putting together meals? If you didn't I can scan mine maybe if it will help? I still use it now as I grew to enjoy the way of eating.

I have LOADS of meals which were great and really yummy too!! And you don't end up being bored with your food.

I think it's tip top 9Grain bread is one of the lowest carb breads as I was finding that my sugars would elevate too when I ate bread. My husband found a helgas new variety which is only 15grams carb for 2 slices so less than one serve.

My breakie was 2 slices of toast with vegemite (if you like it)
A cup of tea with a little milk
A piece of fruit
generally = between 2 and 3 serves of carb

or

1/3 cup Porridge
250ml Milk on it
teaspoon of honey or golden syrup
= 2.5 serves of carb

Snacks
1/2 le rice tub =1 serve and you can get yummy flavours
1 tub of frome or diet (yopolait yellow tubs) = just shy of 1 serve
2 ryvitas with cheese and tomato =1 serve
Cheese is good as it fills you up but doesnt count so melting it on celery or the ryvita is a nice winter warmer smile
3 arrowroot biscuits or shredded wheat to got with a cuppa is 1 serve

Is this helping? lol I can post more recipes if you like!
Cannaleni beans and chick peas one can each with onion and chicken stock when you cook it down and mash it makes nice mash potato substitute. smile

Let me know if any of these help!!
Thanks for that. I'll give that a try. The dietitian did give us a list but it was so exhaustive! I did try the tip top 9 grain but I found it well, too grainy! Just feels like I'm hungry all the time. I found meat/fish and vegies keeps my sugar levels down but I think my biggest problem is lunch but will try your recipe for lunch. smile
Great to hear everyones stories.
I had GD with DS1 and i am 27 weeks pregnant with no 2 and just had my GTT yesterday; so results will come out tomorrow. I am just assuming that i will have it again and then if i don't it's a bonus.
I managed last time to control mine with diet. I got bored with dinners though. If anyone has any recipies i would love to hear some of them as it is the right way to eat normally.

Take care everyone and like the initial person (sorry bad with names) it's not your fault and the important part is you and the baby stay healthy. Take care xx

Hi Cosmo,

I got a little bored with dinner for a while too, and tried searching for some new inspiration that would be GD friendly. I found www.taste.com.au was a really good website and actually has a whole section on Diabetes friendly meals

Hope this helps smile
Sign in to follow this topic