Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Painful Leg Cramps Rss

Hello all,

I am 25 weeks into my second pregnancy and have started to experience painful leg cramping which wakes me from my sleep. :~ I usually have to wake my husband to help me move my foot to release the muscle in my calf!

I am wondering if anyone else experiences this? I spoke to my GP who told me that leg cramps in pregnancy are common. I have also heard that it is caused by a lack of calcium, a lack of sodium and numerous other deficiencies. My Gp assures me I am not deficient in anything and that if I had cramps outside of pregnancy these could be factors to investigate, but seeing as it only happens to me in pregnancy mode - it has to be related. I had cramps in my first pregnancy too.

What I am wondering is, what if anything have others done to reduce the occurrance and severity of these cramps?

Michelle :~
Hi Michelle
Here is a little info i found for you regarding leg cramps. I also had leg cramping with my pregnancy and know how painful and annoying it can get.

What are leg cramps?
Most people have suffered the excruciatingly painful experience of a leg cramp at least once in their life. A cramp is a painful spasm of the muscle, usually in the calf, but sometimes in the foot. The affected muscle feels very hard. Cramp may come on after taking increased exercise or, in regular sportspeople, after prolonged exercise, particularly in the heat.

What causes cramps?
There are probably several different reasons why cramp occurs. Lack of salt is one well-recognised cause. Poor circulation is another, and pregnant women are also particularly prone to cramp.

Night cramps
One of the most distressing forms of cramp is nocturnal (night) cramps, which often wake the sufferer—who is usually elderly. These can often be prevented by taking quinine, either in tablet form or by drinking tonic water. Sleeping with the legs bent may also help.

Relieving cramps
When cramp occurs it is best relieved by stretching the muscle. When the calf is affected, this can be done by pulling your toes towards you, massaging the muscle at the same time. Although they are extremely painful, leg cramps are more of a nuisance than anything else. Fortunately, they are not usually a sign of anything seriously wrong.

Hope this helps!

Take care! smile

helena- vic- ds-3.5 dd- 1

Hi Michelle,

I had some leg cramps in my pregnancy. I mentioned it to my obs and he put me on Caltrate which is a calcium supplement that you can buy at the chemist. I never had a single one after that.

Cheers,
Bron

Mum to DD 08.08.03 and DS 12.05.05

Hi there,
I had heaps of them with my first pregnancy but I found that with my second they weren't so bad. I could usually tell when they were about to come and if I pointed my toes up towards my knees I was usually able to avoid them altogether.
Hope this helps.
Erin

Erin,W.A. kids 12,5,2 and 1

Erin,

I am the same. If I stretch out while half asleep I can sometimes feel one coming but if I pull my toes up and bend my knee it stops it coming. Unfortunately they don't always happen though when we are half awake so we can stop them.

Ryan (2) & Jayden (18mths)

I did the pointing the toes up thing as well and it worked great in my last pregnancy. But of course you have to feel it coming on.

Kristina, Mum of James 3yrs & Matilda 14 months

Guess who was up at 3am this morning yelling in pain with a leg cramp ... not me but my partner.

He must have had a sympathy leg cramp - he he smile

Ryan (2) & Jayden (18mths)

Hi Mum's,

Thanks for all your great and sympathetic replies! I have actually not had a cramp in my legs for 3 days now... makes me think a big one is due soon. I have foind that if I bend my legs the minute I wake up and move my toes up and down that I feel much better.

jo70 - how funny that your poor husband should wake in agony with a cramp... should make him more sympathetic to you next time.

Thanks again,

Michelle. smile
Hey Mum's...

At another post I left about this topic, a great idea was left.

Here is what was said...

Re: Has anyone else experienced painful leg cramps in pregnancy?
Posted: 22-04-2004 09:45 AM
Hi Michelle,

This may sound very strange but my obstetrician recommended eating 2 bananas per day and it worked for me. So far this time (20 weeks our 2nd baby) I am making sure to eat 1 banana per day and so far so good. I will surely increase to 2 per day when and if the cramps start again as it worked a treat last time. The DR did say he believed it was an old wifes tale but all his patients swear by it and I do now as well! Good Luck with the cramps and enjoy the bananas (they do get a bit much after a while but on cereal in the morning or in yoghurt for dessert it wasn't too bad).
Lidia (and Bryce 15mths)

Why not give it a try? And thanks again Lidia!

Michelle smile

i also had leg cramps i also pointed my toes up toward my knees and it worked not just when i could feel the cramp coming but when it was already there if that makes scence

mum to Levi, Paige & Isaiah

Sign in to follow this topic