Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. Gestational Diabetes and Caesareans

Gestational Diabetes and Caesareans Rss

Hello everyone!! I was wondering how many of you out there had gestational diabetes and what birth you had ie caesarean or vaginal.
I had gestational diabetes and also had a caesarean but this was due to my son being breech not the diabetes. The reason I ask is I work with a lady who is pregnant with her first and she has just learnt she has gestational diabetes. She is terrified she will have to have a caesarean and of course I am no help. I would love to be able to tell her I know of people who did have a vaginal birth to put her mind at ease. Regardless of what birth you had it would still be interesting to hear what method of birth you had with having gestational diabetes.
Hi Janeen,

Once again, only offering what i know, and i am no where near a Dr.

Gestational diabetes tends to create bigger babies, thus the need for intervention. I am sure if the diabetes is controlled, and most can be except in extreme cases, the outcome can still be VB. Also if your friend conveys her concerns to her health carer, they can help her with the birth of a large baby, and let her know of the things she can do to help.

Best of luck, i hope you get lots of better help than mine,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

A lady in my antenatal classes was induced 2 weeks early and had a VB even though she had gestational diabeties

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

A friend of ours has had 2 pregnancies with gestational diabetes and had a vaginal birth both times. She was induced early each time due to the risk of an overlarge baby if full term, but in both cases had a quick and relatively easy birth.

Proof that GD is not necessarily going to end up with C-section.

Rachelle, NZ, son George 10.12.02, Ian 15.06.04

Thanks everyone!!! It will be great to tell her it is possible.
Please keep the replies coming..........
Hi Janeen

A friend of mine had gestational diabetes with all three of her pregnancies and each time had really quick vaginal deliveries - I think it's just the luck of the draw tongue !!!

Jasmine
Hi Janeen,

I had gestational diabetes and had a caeser. I was induced because of the diabetes (not because bub was big though) and only ended up having the caeser due to foetal distress. Other people I know have had GD and had vaginal births. Like Jasmine says, I think its just the luck of the draw.

Bron

Mum to DD 08.08.03 and DS 12.05.05

I had gestational diabeties with my first and had a vaginal delivery. I was going to be induced at 39 weeks but went into labour naturally the night before the induction was scheduled.

mum to 2 girls

Sign in to follow this topic