Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. Am sick of people presuming I am about to drop.....

Am sick of people presuming I am about to drop..... Rss

Hi Everyone

I am currently 33 weeks pregnant with No 2 and I have had heaps of people either asking me or my husband or my MIL, she must be just about ready to drop any minute now...... I am not due till the end of June but am looking huge and ready to drop. My first born was 11lb 3oz, so am gathering this one is taking after its brother in size. I am not really annoyed as such, it is just one of those questions that you get sick of hearing, you can only ignore it so much, why can't people just ask how much longer and not presume you are about to drop, that one wouldn't bother me as much.

Just wondering if anyone else gets this......
Hiya,

I really can relate to what you are saying, although on the opposite side, as i was smallish. Why do people have to pass on their opinions all the time?

I only noticed it again today as my sister is 22wks and everyone kept telling her how tiny she was, i could see it starting to upset her!

Take care, and enjoy those last 7 weeks,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi Heather,

I know what you mean, everyone is comparing me to other people they know about the same time along. I call myself a pregnant hippo (like you it's all baby), but the other women at my Mum and Husband's works are both carrying very small!
Friends came over last night who haven't seen me for a while, and we got the jaw drop, followed by the tummy pat. Luckily they know my due date, so didn't make the about to drop comment, but I do get it from strangers when I'm out! I have to say I would be quite happy if I was closer to due date, 8 weeks feels like a very long time.

Rachelle, NZ, son George 10.12.02, Ian 15.06.04

I know what you mean!! When I was pregnant I couldn't understand how people assumed they had permission to touch my tummy (which I hated)! Then there was the comments....well...I figured that everyone had an experience to talk about and I was pretty positive about the whole pregnant thing and they wanted to share their negative experiences..In the end..in one ear and out the other...Then when I had our baby...it was ooohhh, ahhhh, isn't he big????? How old?? It never ends..
I used to be inconspicuous in the world now forget it!!! You have to laugh!!!
Hi HaydnsMummy,

Aren't we lucky that when we are pregnant we become such public property??? I am almost 30 weeks now and people keep telling me that I am as big now as I was just before I had my daughter (my first pregnancy). It seems people always have to pass there own thoughts about you. Isn't it enough to be pregnant, big and uncomfortable??? I have been told "Oh, dear this is going to be bigger than your first baby" ...well derr it is my second baby!

Goodluck with the last 7 weeks and don't let the little things get you down... smile

Michelle.
I have a solution for the tummy patting that I'm sure to start getting (cause I'm already HUGE)...

I'm thinking about making a t-shirt that says "I am not Buddah... please do not rub my tummy". Hopefully people will have the same sense of humour. smile

Tarns

Hi Tarns

You could be onto something with that idea .. in fact I may need one of those shirts too smile

I didn't mind my tummy being patted until a week ago when I developed this pregnancy rash. Now when people touch my tummy with the best of intentions it only makes the itching more intense

As for people commenting on my size I too hate it. One friend in particular keeps telling me 'You're gonna have a 10 pounder ... I'm going to hear you in labour from my house.' Being a first baby hearing things like that makes me feel anxious ... or maybe we are all a bit more sensitive than usual when pregnant???

Jo

Ryan (2) & Jayden (18mths)

Hi Jo,
I wouldn't worry too much about size of you resulting in big baby/hard labour. I was huge with my first had a 9lb9oz boy, my labour was hard, but not because of his size. It was hard because he was facing the wrong way! I've heard of women having 11 pounders with easy labour!
I've been told this time there is a good size bag of waters around this baby which is why I resemble a hippo (though in the bath it is more beached whale impression).
And yes, we are more sensitive when pregnant.

I'm sure all will go well with your labour.

Rachelle, NZ, son George 10.12.02, Ian 15.06.04

Hi Rachelle.

Thanks for the reassurance and the laugh ... I am glad to hear the baby's size doesn't necessary guarantee you a traumatic labour. Come to think of it a friend only had a 6lb9oz baby last week and she had a horrendous labour (lots of tearing etc).

I think even when we are pregnant and supposed to be fat we still don't like to be told how big we are looking (well I don't!). My partner says ... 'Look at that belly full of arms and legs.' Now that is a much nicer way to comment on the size of a pregnant woman's belly I think smile

All the best with your labour too ... you don't have too long to go now either!

Jo

Ryan (2) & Jayden (18mths)

I got that a lot - I was huge with both of mine - couldn't find maternity clothes big enough so had to make some tents.

It's not as bad though as being asked how long you've got to go, and having to say that you've already had your baby......

mum to 2 girls

Hi all
I am like Tepe on this one - my first bub 01/02/03 was a nice size 7lb, but everyone would say oh you are only tiny gee bub is going to be small, blah blah blah - i really get sick of the same old comment, and it usally comes from mothers that bloat up through pregnancy & have tiny little 5-6lb. I was 4-6 weeks off next baby & still the some old comment even though my OB has said he/she is on the larger size???
It does annoy me a little when they talk small sizes to you - I would love to lift my shirt and say does that look small to you????
I've had experiences of both sides. With my first I was really small and was constantly told how small I looked. Even my drs kept sending me for scans and it was plastered all over my chart "Small for dates". They were worried enough about my miniature baby, that they had a himidicrib on standby and the special care team. Well he was 8 lb, 1oz and fine. I just had very little fluid and a compact, but heavy, baby. With my third, I was 10 days overdue and getting pretty big, but not that huge! When people, especially shopkeepers, would say "Oh my goodness, when are you due - You're huge!". I would say "Any minute, I hoped you've washed your floors". This was enough to shut them up! Try it!

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

Sign in to follow this topic